Bryan M. Wittlin assists clients in business litigation matters, with an emphasis on complex insurance coverage and bad faith litigation. He has experience in first- and third-party complex insurance coverage and bad faith disputes arising under personal lines and commercial business policies, both primary and excess, as well as professional liability policies. He represents clients at trials and arbitrations, takes and defends depositions, drafts trial and appellate briefs, and argues motions before state and federal courts. Bryan also handles disputes in a variety of other industries, including entertainment, real estate and financial services.
Bryan maintains an active pro bono practice, and has filed amicus briefs before the U.S. Supreme Court on behalf of pro bono clients.
While in law school, Bryan served as a judicial extern for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and as an extern at the U.S. Department of Justice, Office of the U.S. Trustee.
Specific matters include:
- Represented liability insurer against bad faith claims arising from underlying excess verdict of over $55 million.
- Represented reinsurer in arbitration with a large commercial bank concerning coverage for underlying lawsuits alleging securities violations and misrepresentations regarding mortgage-backed securities during the financial crisis.
- Represented publicly traded company against claims of fraud and negligent misrepresentation concerning stock warrant transactions.
- Obtained summary judgment for insurer in federal lawsuit alleging breach of contract and bad faith concerning coverage for underlying sexual harassment litigation.
- Obtained temporary restraining order for production company against co-financier of major motion picture.
- University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law, J.D., 2012, Associate Editor - UCLA Journal of Environmental Law and Policy
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.A., 2009
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section