S. Vance Wittie represents clients in appellate, class action, insurance and products liability litigation. He is certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Civil Appellate Law.
Vance is a regular writer and speaker and has conducted several continuing education seminars in fields such as aggregate litigation threats to the health insurance industry, the Class Action Fairness Act, trends in automotive products liability and consumer class actions, and legal writing.
- Successfully defended appeal of defense verdict in the largest construction defect case tried in the United States.
- Obtained summary judgment in a class action on behalf of the manufacturer in case alleging violations of the Federal Odometer Act.
- Obtained summary judgment on all claims on behalf of automobile manufacturer in consumer class action.
- Obtained reversal of judgment in Pennsylvania asbestos case and successfully urged application to state repose statute to asbestos cases involving improvements to real property.
- Successfully resisted class certification in a pharmaceutical mass tort litigation.
- Obtained the reversal of a class certification order on behalf of an automobile manufacturer.
- Obtained dismissal of a suit alleging “wrongful settlement” by an excess reinsurer.
- Obtained reversal of an order denying arbitration in a reinsurance dispute.
- Successfully prosecuted the appeal for a reinsurer in a complex premium dispute with an agent.
- Obtained affirmation of an order enforcing a Florida judgment in a crop insurance case where defendant contended judgment was not entitled to full faith and credit.
- Obtained (and defended on appeal) summary judgment in a case where the plaintiffs attempted to assert vicarious liability theories against an automobile manufacturer based on negligent acts of dealership employees.
- Successfully defended on appeal summary judgment on behalf of an automobile manufacturer based upon necessity of expert testimony to establish defect.
- Successfully defended a Japanese fishing tackle manufacturer in a claim brought by a local sales representative.
- Obtained abatement of a class action brought against three automobile manufacturers based on primary jurisdiction of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
- Successfully urged on appeal application of tort reform legislation to pending breast implant cases.
- Obtained dismissal of clients in a mass tort litigation alleging occupational exposure.
- Baylor University School of Law, J.D., 1985, cum laude
- Baylor University, B.A., 1983, with distinction
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association