Joseph J. Whitney concentrates on commercial real estate transactions, including leasing, acquisitions, dispositions, joint venture transactions, financings and land use. Joseph represents both landlords and tenants in commercial, industrial, retail and ground lease transactions. He is often involved in significant, complex lease negotiations, which often involve build-to-suit leases. Joe also represents clients in more routine lease transactions, as well as other ancillary lease issues such as leasehold financings, subordination agreements, lien waivers, exclusive agency agreement and commission agreements.
Joseph represents both sellers and buyers in a broad range of acquisitions and dispositions, including office, industrial, retail, farmland and redevelopment areas. He has also creates commercial condominiums and counsels clients with respect to the New Jersey Condominium Act. Joseph also has significant experience representing both lenders and borrowers in financing transactions secured by real estate.
Joseph’s representative leasing matters include:
- Representation of a prominent developer in connection with leasing of an approximately 300,000 square foot build to suit lease to be utilized as the global headquarters of an international pharmaceutical company.
- Representation of a joint venture between two real estate investor clients in connection with the leasing of a retail store to a national home goods and furnishing retailer in a prominent downtown business district in New Jersey.
- Representation of a landlord in connection with a 170,000 square foot office lease in a multi-tenanted class A office building.
- Representation of a joint venture in connection with the acquisition of two commercial properties in Morristown, New Jersey.
- Representation of a purchaser in connection with the sale and leaseback of a global headquarters of a Fortune 500 company.
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
- New Jersey
- New York
- Rutgers University School of Law - Newark, J.D., 2004, with honors, Rutgers Law Review
- The College of New Jersey, B.A., 2001
- National Association of Industrial and Office Properties
- Real Estate Committee of the Morris County Bar Association
- United Way Commercial Real Estate Network Legacy Luncheon, Planning/Steering Committee