William L. Warren counsels and defends clients on environmental law regulatory matters. He assists clients with respect to federal and state remedial requirements and the New Jersey Industrial Site Recovery Act. He also advises clients on environmental issues arising out of leaseholds and the purchase or sale of real estate, businesses or companies.
Bill has extensive experience prosecuting and defending virtually every type of environmental litigation, as well as negotiating the environmental aspects of business transactions. His practice encompasses cost recovery, toxic tort and complex, multiparty environmental litigation, and administrative appellate work. Bill also has experience with negotiation and litigation before federal and state environmental agencies and PRP group formation and management.
Bill has been a consistent innovator in his field.
- Helped develop the concept of the "springing easement" to protect sellers of property from post-closing environmental obligations.
- Served as common counsel at a Superfund site.
- Secured a "waste-specific release" from USEPA as part of a CERCLA consent decree and was the first lawyer to convince NJDEP to issue an ISRA letter of nonapplicability for the spinoff by a publicly traded company of one of its operating divisions.
Bill developed one of the finest environmental libraries in the country and computerized it so that arcane information, often vital to the practice of environmental law, is available in minutes which would otherwise take weeks to locate, if at all.
Bill served a clerkship with the Hon. John R. Bartels in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York.
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
Bill developed Drinker Biddle’s computerized Freedom of Information Act program, which permits us to access public documents which are usually maintained in obscurity and frequently overlooked.
William Warren is a seasoned practitioner with extensive experience across environmental litigation and regulatory compliance matters. Sources report: ‘He's an icon,’ with another adding: ‘He is one of the standout figures of the practice area.’
– CHAMBERS USA (2018)
‘Exceptionally good lawyer’ William Warren ‘is always a pleasure to deal with,’ say market commentators. He is praised as a ‘wonderful litigator,’ with expertise in a range of contentious matters, including toxic tort, cost recovery and multiparty litigation.
– CHAMBERS USA
- New Jersey
- New York
- New York University School of Law, J.D., 1973, Annual Survey of American Law
- Colgate University, B.A., 1969
- American College of Environmental Lawyers (ACOEL)