Andrew L. Van Houter represents clients in complex commercial litigations, particularly in matters related to financial investments and business operations. He advises investment funds, hedge funds, investors, banks, and businesses on valuation disputes, partnership disputes, investment disputes, as well as breaches of complex commercial contracts. Andrew litigates such matters at both the state and federal levels, with extensive experience in navigating the New York courts. His work also involves class action and mass tort defense.
Andrew is a member of the New York City Bar Association’s Securities Litigation Committee, which includes plaintiff and defense attorneys, corporate counsel, institutional investors and academics. As a member of the committee, Andrew assists in drafting reports and continuing legal education programs on securities law trends and other topics, as well as participate in public service projects.
Prior to joining Drinker Biddle, Andrew was an associate of Sullivan and Cromwell LLP. There, Andrew represented global financial institutions and corporations in multiple types of litigation, including breach of contract matters, federal and state securities claims relating to mortgage-backed securities and “naked” short sales, shareholder derivative actions, antitrust and commodity manipulation class action claims, employment discrimination actions and claims brought under the Anti-Terrorism Act related to alleged money laundering. Andrew has also conducted internal investigations concerning anti-money laundering practices, suspicious trading and allegations of abuse at a university.
- Represents a Fortune 100 company engaged in partnership valuation litigation in the Delaware Court of Chancery.
- Represents a national food manufacturing company in business valuation dispute in New York Supreme Court.
- Represents a commercial real estate lender in litigation regarding complex loan documents in the New York Supreme Court.
- Represents a sophisticated investment fund in a dispute with vendors that is being litigated before the New York Supreme Court.
- Represents global financial institution in multiple arbitration disputes before FINRA.
- Represented biomedical companies dedicated to cancer detection and prevention in breach of contract claims and claims relating to investment disputes.
- Represented global financial institution in contract and securities claims concerning mortgage- backed securities in multiple state and federal courts.
- Represented an international hedge fund in multiple litigations concerning a complex investment structure in the Russian markets.
- New Jersey
- New York
- Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., 2012, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif, Seton Hall Law Review
- Lander College for Men, Touro College, B.A., 2009, cum laude
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- New Jersey Law Journal’s Young Lawyer’s Advisory Board
- New York City Bar Association, Securities Litigation Committee
- Association of Jewish Attorneys, Advisory Board