Douglas B. Swill is the chair of the firm’s Health Care Practice Group. He counsels health systems, hospitals, medical groups and other health care providers in transactional and regulatory matters, including strategic transactions, affiliations, mergers and acquisitions, sales, joint ventures, and governance matters. He also counsels clients on Stark and Anti-Kickback Laws, the Affordable Care Act, physician and other clinical integration strategies, Medicare and Medicaid audits, EMTALA, coverage and overpayment issues, compliance programs, voluntary disclosures, due diligence reviews, complex contract projects, and strategic lab transactions and joint ventures.
Doug has worked in the health care industry for almost 30 years, and has been with the firm for 25 years, including as a partner with Gardner, Carton & Douglas, prior to its merger with Drinker Biddle. He is a past member of Drinker Biddle’s Management Committee and Allocations Committee.
Prior to joining the firm in 1993, he was an Assistant State's Attorney in Chicago and practiced in the Office of the State’s Attorney’s Federal Litigation and Hospitals Departments. In that capacity, Doug represented Cook County Hospital in general counsel matters and Cook County officials in federal litigation matters that included oral arguments before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
- Representation of the largest nonprofit health system in the Midwest in its affiliation with another large midwest health system to create the 10th largest nonprofit health system in the United States.
- Representation of a public university in its affiliation with a regional health system to create the world’s first engineering-based college of medicine.
- Representation of a large New Jersey health system in its affiliation with another leading New Jersey health system to create one of New Jersey’s largest integrated health networks.
- Represented a Catholic-based health system in its acquisition of a community hospital in Virginia.
- Representation of a community-based hospital in a merger with a suburban Chicago health system.
- Representation of a Michigan health system in a new joint venture health system with a publicly traded health care company.
- Representation of a community-based hospital in the merger into a larger suburban Chicago health system.
- Representation of a New York community hospital in the sale of substantially all of its assets to a New York academic medical center.
- Representation of a pediatric medical center for ten years as outside general counsel.
- Representation of an Ohio-based health care system in an affiliation of three hospitals.
- Representation of a multi-state Catholic health care system in acquisition due diligence of eight hospitals.
- Representation of a multi-state Catholic health care system in the sale of a New Jersey hospital to a municipality and long-term care facility to a for-profit company.
- Representation of a pediatric hospital in compliance-related matters.
- Representation of a Florida multi-hospital system in the establishment of a management services organization to assist in physician integration activities.
- Representation of a Catholic health care system in a joint venture with a community-based health system to establish a new joint ventured community hospital in Virginia.
- Representation of several hospital systems in purchases and sales of physician practices, including advice on corporate structuring for physician integration and physician compensation methodologies.
- Representation of a community-based hospital system in organizing and implementing an integrated physician organization with a physician governing council.
- Representation of a national retailer in a regulatory review of optometry and pharmacy operations.
- Representation of a Virginia health system in the sale of its clinical reference lab to LabCorp.
- Representation of two large Midwest health systems’ lab joint venture in whole lab system management arrangement with private equity back laboratory management firm.
- Representation of a new, single specialty physician group upon consolidation of five physician specialty groups.
- Representation of a Midwest academic medical center in a strategic alliance for post-acute patient relationships with multiple skilled nursing facilities.
- Representation of two Catholic assisted living facilities located in Mid-Atlantic states in a strategic transaction process.
- Representation of a suburban Chicagoland health system in contractual affiliations with skilled nursing facilities to address clinical and financial integration initiatives.
Chambers USA, Illinois, Healthcare (2012–2019)
Leading Lawyers – Illinois
“Outstanding Physician Practice Lawyers,” Nightingale’s Healthcare News
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
Douglas Swill comes recommended as a ‘first-rate transactional lawyer’ whose practice also sees him provide expert regulatory counsel to clients such as medical groups, hospitals and health systems. Interviewees say: ‘He is knowledgeable in all aspects of healthcare and has access to unlimited resources.’
Douglas Swill offers deep expertise in transactional matters, including M&A, joint ventures and corporate governance concerns. His clients include health systems, hospitals and medical groups. Clients describe him as ‘extremely knowledgeable, responsive and easy to communicate and work with.’Chambers USA (2019)
Healthcare practice chair Douglas Swill is praised by clients for his ‘professionalism and knowledge of the subject matter.’ He has a broad practice advising healthcare providers and nonprofit organizations on both regulatory and transactional healthcare matters. [He] is widely regarded as an ‘excellent lawyer and fabulous human being. His clients love him.’
– CHAMBERS USA (2018)
Douglas Swill draws praise for his 'tremendous, well-rounded expertise in healthcare.' He advises on a wide range of regulatory and transactional issues, including M&A and acquisitions and governance matters, and is particularly singled out for his work in the nonprofit arena.
– CHAMBERS USA
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, LL.M., Health Law, 1990
- Washington University, J.D., 1989
- Muhlenberg College, B.A., 1986
- Center for Healthcare Innovation, Board of Directors