Kristin Ann Shepard focuses on the defense of insurance companies and other financial institution clients in high-stakes litigation in state and federal trial and appellate courts. She has defended financial services companies in nationwide class actions, multidistrict litigation, and market conduct litigation, including underlying claims of consumer fraud, unfair insurance practices, RICO, and various common law torts. Kristin also has defended corporate-owned life insurance (COLI) carriers in litigation by policyholders and insureds, and advised clients on related tax matters.
In addition to her class action practice, Kristin has counseled clients in connection with market conduct exams and regulatory issues related to life insurance, annuities and lender-placed insurance, using her background as a litigator to help clients proactively identify and reduce litigation risk.
Kristin is a frequent writer and speaker on cutting-edge developments in class action law, including data breach class actions and cybersecurity litigation. She received 2017 and 2016 JD Supra Readers' Choice Awards as a Top Author for Class Action Defense.
- “Insurer Cyber Risk: Guarding Your Galaxy,” PCI General Counsel Seminar, Cambridge, MA (September 24, 2018)
- “Current Trends in Data Breach Class Action Litigation,” DRI Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Seminar, Chicago (September 7, 2018)
- “Hot Topics in Life Litigation,” American Council of Life Insurers’ Compliance and Legal Sections Annual Meeting, White Sulfur Springs, WV (July 2018)
- “Emerging Issues in Life Insurance and Annuity Litigation and Class Actions,” 43rd Annual TIPS Mid-Winter Symposium on Insurance and Employee Benefits (January 13, 2017)
- “Enforcement and Litigation Update,” IRI Cybersecurity Forum 2016, Washington (July 19, 2016)
- "Strategies for Data Breach Prevention and Defending Data Breach Class Actions in the Financial Services Industry," IRI Webinar (March 4, 2015)
- "Cybersecurity Class Actions: A Defense Perspective," ACLI In-Person Litigation Committee and Interested Parties Meeting (December 4, 2014)
- PLI Conference on the Securities Products of Insurance Companies in the Face of Regulatory Reform (January 28, 2011)
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
- District of Columbia
- Washington University School of Law, J.D., 2000
- Washington University, B.A., 1997, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia