Joseph C. Schoell has handled a broad variety of corporate and commercial litigation in state and federal courts, and has advised clients on Delaware corporate and business entity law. He also has substantial experience in regulatory and administrative law as well as government relations matters.
Joe has an extensive background in corporate and commercial litigation, including actions involving stockholder disputes, derivative litigation, securities cases, and mergers and acquisitions. Over the course of his career, Joe has represented directors and officers in fiduciary duty cases, handled disputes involving corporate governance and control, and litigated statutory proceedings arising under the Delaware General Corporation Law (actions for appraisal and stockholders and directors’ demands for books and records). Joe’s practice also involves administrative law, government law and general business matters.
Joe joined Drinker Biddle in April 2009 as a partner in the Wilmington, Delaware, office. Previously he was a partner with a Wilmington, Delaware office of a regional law firm.
From 2001 to early 2007, Joe served as an attorney with the Office of the Governor of the State of Delaware, and served as Chief Legal Counsel to Governor Ruth Ann Minner from October 2003 through January 2007. As the Governor’s legal counsel, Joe advised the Governor, her cabinet and senior agency personnel on legal issues, coordinated with the Delaware General Assembly on policy issues, assisted in the development and implementation of legislative and policy agendas, and oversaw important litigation involving the state.
Prior to joining the Delaware Governor’s Office, Joe was an attorney with a local Delaware law firm, serving as an associate from September 1992 through December 1998, and a partner from January 1999 through January 2000.
- Serving as counsel to special litigation committee appointed to investigate and direct disposition of derivative claims brought in the Delaware Court of Chancery on behalf of privately-held Delaware limited partnership.
- Serving as general counsel for Delaware State Housing Authority in connection with a variety of matters, including the development and financing of affordable housing and general policy and administration issues.
- Representing former director and officer in adversary proceedings brought by liquidating trustee alleging breach of fiduciary duties in U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware.
- Represented two directors of public company in connection with stockholders’ class and derivative action in the Delaware Court of Chancery related to compensation of company’s Chief Executive Officer. Handled litigation matters through discovery and trial. Case settled after trial.
- Served as regulatory counsel for Delaware electric utility and related parties in connection with regulatory approval of merger of Exelon Corporation and Pepco Holdings, Inc., by the Delaware Public Service Commission.
- Represented special committee of directors in connection with a sale of assets of subsidiary contract security company.
- Tried case in Delaware Superior Court to recover earn out compensation due post-closing after purchase of oil services company.
- Defended appeals brought under the Delaware Coastal Zone Act related to permit for fuel cell installation.
- Served as principal Delaware counsel for major federal antitrust litigation in the District Court for the District of Delaware.
- Served as counsel to special litigation committee of publicly-traded Delaware corporation investigating accounting fraud and stock option backdating.
- Yale Law School, J.D.
- University of Delaware, B.A., summa cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Delaware
- Delaware State Bar Association, Corporation Law Section, Litigation Section
- American Bar Association