Geoffrey A. Sawyer III advises states and large corporations regarding compliance with state unclaimed property laws. Currently, Geoff leads Drinker Biddle’s representation administering the State of Delaware’s Voluntary Disclosure Agreement (“VDA”) program for unclaimed property compliance, which currently has over 800 enrolled companies. In addition, Geoff represents clients in connection with multi-state unclaimed property audits, has filed Section 1577 Interest Assessment Appeals in the State of California, and counsels clients regarding the effect of state unclaimed property laws in Mergers & Acquisitions, contract negotiation and internal compliance reviews. In addition to his unclaimed property practice, Geoff also represents clients in transactional and corporate litigation work before Delaware regulatory authorities.
Prior to joining the firm, Geoff served as Delaware Governor Jack Markell’s Deputy Chief of Staff and directed the Governor’s economic development efforts, as well as oversaw the state’s collective bargaining.
- Pennsylvania State University, Dickinson School of Law, J.D., 2004, Woolsack Honor Society
- Hamilton College, B.A., 1997
- Delaware Chapter March of Dimes Board of Directors, Vice-Chair
- Delaware State Bar Association
- Unclaimed Property Professionals Organization, Member