In Memoriam: Kimberly K. Rubel
With profound sadness, Drinker Biddle’s partners, professionals and staff colleagues mourn the passing of our dear friend and beloved partner Kimberly K. Rubel, September 5, 2019.
Kimberly K. Rubel advises clients on securities and capital raising transactions, as well as a wide range of public company, board and committee matters. She is a firm managing partner and a vice chair of the firm’s Corporate and Securities Group. Kim has counseled issuers in public and private offerings of equity, debt and convertible securities.
A considerable part of Kim’s practice involves advising public reporting companies with respect to disclosure and compliance issues under the federal securities laws and corporate governance matters. These clients operate in a broad range of industries, including technology, diversified manufacturing, insurance, pharmaceutical and beverage.
Kim has counseled issuers in public and private offerings of equity, debt and convertible securities.
- Hamilton Lane Incorporated (NASDAQ: HLNE), an alternative investment management firm, in its $200 million initial public offering, multiple follow-on offerings and in ongoing public company compliance and corporate governance matters.
- $100 million initial public offering for a technology company.
- Public offerings of $3.1 billion and €2 billion of senior notes for a multinational diversified manufacturer.
- $130 million public offering of common shares for a Canadian beverage producer.
- $120 million public offering of equity for an offshore insurance company.
- $290 million private placement of common shares and warrants for a publicly traded offshore insurance company.
- $112 million initial public offering and $200 million offering of primary and secondary shares for a clinical software and information solutions provider.
- Public offerings of $2.3 billion of senior notes for a national retail drugstore chain.
- Rule 144A offerings of $2.5 billion of notes for a multinational diversified manufacturer.
Kim has served as independent counsel for both special and standing committees of boards of directors in connection with special investigations, related-party transactions and corporate governance issues.
- Counsel to the audit committee of the board of directors of a global information technology and digital marketing/advertising provider in connection with an internal investigation.
- Counsel to a special committee of the board of directors of a business outsourcing services provider in connection with an internal investigation.
- Counsel to the audit committee of an insurance company in connection with several transactions with its majority owner.
Kim has advised institutional investors in their purchase of privately placed debt securities, as well as issuers in their offer and sale of these securities. She has experience with master note agreements, amendments and waivers, restructurings, inter-creditor issues, collateral and cross-border transactions. Her representative matters include:
- An Australian manufacturer in private placements of $270 million and €100 million of senior notes.
- An English appliance manufacturer in a $120 million offering of senior notes.
- Investors in a $300 million offering of senior notes by a financial services company.
- A discount supermarket chain in its offerings of $485 million and $550 million of senior notes.
- Investors in a ¥1.2 billion offering of guaranteed senior notes by a provider of filtration systems and parts.
- A diversified real estate company in its offering of $645 million of senior notes.
- The University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 1995
- University of Illinois, B.S., 1990
- American Bar Association, Committee on Federal Regulation of Securities