Fred Reish represents clients in fiduciary issues, prohibited transactions, tax-qualification and Department of Labor, Securities and Exchange Commission and FINRA examinations of retirement plans and IRA issues.
Fred works with both private and public sector entities and their plans and fiduciaries and represents plans, employers and fiduciaries before federal agencies such as the DOL and IRS. He consults with banks, trust companies, insurance companies and mutual fund management companies on 401(k) recordkeeping services, investment products and issues related to plan investments and retirement income. He also represents broker-dealers and registered investment advisers on issues related to fiduciary status and compliance, prohibited transactions and internal procedures.
His experience also includes advising insurance companies and investment managers of the development of products and services that are consistent with ERISA's fiduciary standards and prohibited transaction restrictions, including retirement income investments and guarantees.
Fred regularly blogs at FredReish.com where he provides updates and insights on the retirement industry for service providers, plan sponsors and registered investment advisers. He is also a contributor to Drinker Biddle’s Broker-Dealer Law Blog, which provides practical insights on litigation, regulatory, compliance and fiduciary issues impacting broker-dealers.
Fred has written four books and over 350 articles on fiduciary responsibility, prohibited transactions, IRS and DOL audits, and pension plan disputes. He authors a monthly column on 401(k) fiduciary responsibility for PLANSPONSOR magazine. He has been quoted extensively in publications, including:
The Wall Street Journal
New York Times
Los Angeles Times
Pensions & Investments
Fred is a sought-after speaker and has spoken at annual conferences including:
The American Bar Association
The American Society of Pension Professionals and Actuaries
The Western Pension and Benefits Conference
The Enrolled Actuaries Conference
The International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans
The National Institute of Pension Administrators
Chambers USA, California, Employee Benefits & Compensation (2016-2017)
“Investment Advisor’s 25 Most Influential People” (ThinkAdvisor)
Employee Benefits Lawyer of the Year, Century City Bar Association
One of the Most Influential Individuals in the 401(k) industry affecting RIAs, RIABiz
“Legends” of the retirement industry and with retirement advisors, PLANADVISER
401(k) Leadership Award, American Society of Pension Professionals & Actuaries/Morningstar
One of the Legends in the development of retirement plans, PLANSPONSOR
“100 Most Influential People in Defined Contribution”, 401kWire
IRS Director’s Award
IRS Commissioner’s Award
Lifetime Achievement Award, PLANSPONSOR
Lifetime Achievement Award, Institutional Investor
Eidson Founders Award, ASPPA
Alumni Service Award, Arizona State University
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
The impressively experienced Fred Reish of Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP is a well-known specialist in retirement-related advice, due to his expertise in related fiduciary, tax qualification and IRA issues.Chambers USA (2017)
2016 Employee Benefits Lawyer of the Year, Century City Bar Association
2016 Investment Advisor’s 25 Most Influential People (ThinkAdvisor)
- University of Arizona James E. Rogers College of Law, J.D.
- Arizona State University, B.S.
- Insured Retirement Institute, Federal Regulatory Committee
- Centre for Fiduciary Excellence (CEFEX) Advisory Council
- Wolters Kluwer Law & Business Pension Editorial Advisory Board
- American College of Employee Benefits Counsel, Charter Fellow
- Arizona State University Alumni Board of Directors
- Arizona State University National Alumni Council
- University of Southern California, Masters of Business Tax Program, “Pension and Profit Sharing”, (Past Teacher)
- American Society of Pension Professionals and Actuaries (ASPPA), Board of Directors (Past)
- ASPPA, Government Affairs Committee, Co-Chair (Past)
- Los Angeles IRS Benefits Conference, Co-Chair (Past, 10+ years)
- NAPA 401k Summit, Co-Chair and Co-Founder (Past)
- ASPPA 401(k) Summit Conference, Co-Founder (Past)
- U.S. Department of Labor, National Conference of the Employee Benefit Security Administration, Executive Committee (Past)