Kristen Reilly counsels financial service industry clients with the goal of avoiding litigation or resolving matters at an early stage through formal and informal dispute resolution. When litigation is unavoidable, Kristen draws on her experience handling complex civil litigation and class actions in state and federal courts throughout the United States. She has acquired extensive experience managing large-scale discovery, conducting and defending depositions, briefing and arguing dispositive motions, preparing for trials, and participating in all facets of alternative dispute resolution, including class-wide settlements.
Kristen’s targeted guidance takes a comprehensive view of her clients’ overall operations. This level of engagement enables her to develop company-wide best practices that help avoid future litigation and ensure current litigation decisions have a minimal impact on the company’s business.
Kristen also devotes substantial time to pro bono matters. This work includes representing petitioners seeking to adopt and foster children in the DC foster care system and volunteering at the Washington Legal Clinic for the Homeless.
- Leiner v. Johnson & Johnson Consumer, Inc., No. 15-cv-5876 (N.D. Ill. Jan. 31, 2017) (granting final approval of nationwide class settlement)
- Crocker et al. v. Bluestone Innovations, LLC, (Va. Cir. Ct. 2016) (granting plea in bar and awarding attorneys’ fees)
- Fleisher v. Phoenix Life Ins. Co., 18 F.Supp.3d 456 (S.D.N.Y. 2014) (granting in part summary judgment finding that Phoenix did not rely on impermissible factors in raising cost of insurance rates)
- Fleisher v. Phoenix Life Insurance Co., 858 F. Supp. 2d 290 (S.D.N.Y. 2012) (granting motion to dismiss claims for violations of New York's General Business Law § 349, for breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing, and for declaratory relief in lawsuit alleging wrongful cost of insurance rate increase)
- U.S. Bank National Association v. PHL Variable Insurance Co., No. CV 11-9517, 2012 WL 1525012 (C.D. Cal. Apr. 26, 2012) (granting motion to dismiss claims for violations of California's Unfair Competition Law and False Advertising Law, and for tortious breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing in lawsuit alleging wrongful cost of insurance rate increase)
- Negrete v. Allianz Life Ins. Co. of N. America, Nos. 05-6838, 2011 2909246 (C.D. Cal. July 18, 2011) (striking plaintiffs' partial motion for summary judgment and barring plaintiffs from alleging un-pled UCL claims)
- Abell v. Cissel, No. 09-0900 (Md. Ct. Spec. App. 2010) (judgment in favor of pro bono clients who were victims of mortgage "foreclosure rescue" fraud following three-week trial affirmed)
- Public Service Co. of Colorado v. Mallon, No. CV 07-762, slip op. (Colo. Dist. Ct. Oct. 22, 2008) (dismissing count asserted under the Colorado Organized Crime Control Act)
D.C. Pro Bono Honor Roll (2018)
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
- District of Columbia
- American University, J.D., 2005, cum laude
- Pennsylvania State University, B.A., 2002, with distinction
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- American Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar Association