John R. Przypyszny counsels institutions of higher education, education companies as well as accrediting agencies on the broad range of legal issues and education law related issues that impact their institutions and businesses on a day-to-day basis. He advises clients on education law matters involving the U.S. Department of Education, accrediting bodies, state agencies and other government regulators. He also has experience advising institutions of higher education on a range of legal issues, including issues pertaining to student affairs matters, admissions, as well as federal and state requirements. He also advises institutions on the requirements of the federal student financial aid programs under Title IV of the Higher Education Act. John leads the firm's Education Team.
John also counsels accrediting bodies that accredit institutions of higher education on a broad range of legal and regulatory issues. He has assisted accrediting agencies in a number of issues, including U.S. Department of Education recognition proceedings, accreditation decision-making, and development and application of accrediting standards.
At the forefront of recent developments in the education industry, John also has extensive experience executing transactions on behalf of institutions of higher education, education companies, as well as private investors and lenders to the education sector. He also provides advice to educational institutions and organizations on issues relating to corporate governance and organization.
John is closely involved with the policy issues that impact higher education. He is a frequent speaker on educational issues and has published a compendium on distance education for the National Association of College and University Attorneys, where he is an Associate Individual Member. He is also a member of the Parent Advisory Committee of the Georgetown University McDonough School of Business and has served as an accreditation site visitor for the ABA Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar.
John is listed by Best Lawyers as one of the top lawyers in Washington, D.C. in the field of education law.
- Represents institutions in matters before the U.S. Department of Education.
- Counsels clients on U.S. Department of Education, state and accrediting requirements.
- Advises clients on legal matters that arise from institutional participation in federal student aid programs.
- Advises clients on change of ownership processes and requirements.
- Represents numerous educational institutions, private equity funds, and investors on transactional matters, including mergers, acquisitions, and conversions of for-profit and non-profit institutions.
- Represents clients in connection with agreements with third-party providers, including agreements to provide various support services, including services involving course development and on-line delivery, to educational institutions.
- Represents banks and bond issuers on issues pertaining to loans or bond offerings to educational institutions.
- Advises accrediting agencies on standards and polices.
- Advises accreditors on federal policy issues impacting accreditation.
- Advises accrediting agencies on U.S. Department of Education requirements.
- Advises clients on federal and state policy issues impacting education.
- Advises clients on legislative developments impacting education.
Best Lawyers®, Education Law (2020)
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
- District of Columbia
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1990, cum laude
- Georgetown University, A.B., 1987, with honors
- Parent Advisory Council of the McDonough School of Business, Georgetown University
- Associate Individual Member, National Association of College and University Attorneys