Laura H. Phillips has been a leader in the telecommunications market for more than 25 years. She counsels wireless and wired technology entrepreneurs on issues related to the development of new technologies, including the development of spectrum auctions, network interconnection, access, universal service and Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP). She also represents clients in regulatory matters stemming from communications service convergence, the growth of wireless services and the Internet. Laura is a United States Certified Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) and advises clients on the intersection of new developments in telecommunications and privacy.
Laura is chair of the firm's Government and Regulatory Affairs Practice Group and she counsels clients on managing government mandates, government enforcement, hearings and a range of communications law, business, FCC equipment issues and policy compliance matters. In addition to administrative enforcement on litigation, she advises technology clients on emerging FCC issues, among them telemarketing, USAC audits and disabilities access. She also counsels clients on regulatory billing matters, acquisitions, mergers and other business issues. Laura is a frequent contributor to the TCPA Blog, a resource analyzing TCPA-related litigation and regulatory developments. Additionally, she serves on the Editorial Board for the DBR on Data blog, which discusses developments in privacy, cybersecurity, information governance and data analytics.
As a practice group leader, Laura’s goal is to make sure that clients receive the most efficient, effective service possible. She holds a certificate in Fundamentals of Legal Project Management from the Legal Project Management Institute.
Laura is heavily involved in the Federal Communications Bar Association, having held a number of elected and appointed positions including serving as the association’s president from 2012-2013. Laura clerked at the National Telecommunications and Information Administration, Department of Commerce, during the last portion of her law school career.
Laura has been at the forefront of developments in the telecommunications industry her entire career. Her recent experience includes:
- Acting as outside counsel to a major national wireless carrier, assisting in its process to reband the 800 MHz spectrum band through negotiations and mediations with hundreds of incumbent FCC licensees
- Successfully defending clients before the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC) and the FCC against adverse audit findings.
- Working with clients to design corporate compliance programs and best practices covering a range of FCC policy and legal issues, including TCPA, disabilities access and consumer billing practices.
- Negotiating communications services supply contracts.
Best Lawyers®, Communications Law (2020)
Distinguished Service Award, Federal Communication Bar Association (FCBA) (2008–2009)
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
Chambers USA has recognized Laura annually since 2009 for the District of Columbia Telecom, Broadcast & Satellite: Regulatory.
Laura Phillips offers telecom clients a respected practice encompassing FCC regulatory matters and litigation. Interviewees call her ‘an outstanding attorney’ and ‘a wise counsel.’
– CHAMBERS USA (2019)
Laura Phillips is ‘excellent – smart and very responsive,’ according to clients. She represents industry entrepreneurs and assists them in matters involving new technologies and spectrum licensing. One impressed interviewee notes: 'She has been incredibly attentive to our needs, working with us to develop strong arguments.'
– CHAMBERS USA (2018)
She is held in high regard by clients, who describe her as 'a leader in the field.' They appreciate her responsiveness, industry knowledge and 'precise guidance.'
– CHAMBERS USA (2017)
Served as editor and author of the PLI Telecommunications Law Answer Book 2017, an 18-chapter comprehensive overview of the issues faced by the many different participants in the telecommunications industry
- District of Columbia
- American University, Washington College of Law, J.D., 1986
- Trinity College, B.A., Economics, 1980, with departmental honors
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA) (Past President, Secretary, Assistant Secretary, and Executive Committee)
- FCBA, Continuing Legal Education Committee (Past Co-Chair)
- FCBA, Membership & Marketing Committee (Past Co-Chair)
- FCBA, Relations with Other Bar Associations Committee (Past and Present Co-Chair)
- FCBA, Wireless Telecommunications Practice Committee (Past Co-Chair)
- Trinity University, Board of Trustees (Former Chair)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Women in Cable Telecommunications