Neil S. Olderman counsels and advises health care providers, medical device manufacturers, health care technology companies, and service providers in the health care industry. He focuses his practice on licensing, strategic affiliations, merger and acquisition transactions, channel partnerships, outsourcing, and joint venture agreements. Neil also counsels health system, hospital and other health care clients on health care regulatory and compliance matters under federal and state fraud and abuse laws and regulations.
With respect to hospital operations, Neil counsels hospital and health system clients on group purchasing arrangements, capital equipment acquisition, clinical and purchased services agreements, outsourcing arrangements and enterprise-wide strategic affiliations with vendors.
He was instrumental in developing and guiding Drinker Biddle’s strategic relationship with The Advisory Board Company, which has resulted in a consulting legal team that assists hospitals in driving cost savings and improved performance and outcomes in several purchased service areas.
Neil also is president of Innovative Health Strategies LLC (IHS), the procurement and outsourcing consulting firm affiliated with Drinker Biddle. In his role with IHS, he structures, negotiates and oversees the implementation of procurement and outsourcing arrangements on behalf of hospital and health system clients. Neil’s work at IHS also includes assisting provider clients in divesting of clinical service lines or joint venturing with third parties certain clinical services lines, e.g. outpatient dialysis, behavioral health, DME, rehabilitation services, and ambulatory surgery. In this role, Neil facilitates the competitive bid process, assists in the selection of the purchasers, and assists with the selection of vendor or joint venture partner. Neil also negotiates the terms and conditions of the definitive agreements.
Prior to joining the firm, Neil was associate general counsel to Premier Health Alliance (now Premier, Inc.), one of the largest group purchasing organizations in the United States.
- Acted as transaction counsel in a not-for-profit hospital conversion in western North Carolina; led a team of 85 attorneys from 21 separate specialty practices in the $1.5 billion asset sale.
- Acted as counsel to a member substitution transaction involving two large Florida-based health systems; the combined revenues of which exceed $3 billion.
- Represented a large East Coast academic medical center in a merger with three separate community hospital affiliates through separate member substitution transactions.
- Represented a community health system in the Southeast in the acquisition of a critical access hospital and related skilled nursing facility.
- Represented a tax-exempt community health system in a merger with a large physician-led health system located in central Pennsylvania.
- Represented a four-hospital health system in Massachusetts in its joint operating agreement with a for-profit health system over the operation of certain outpatient clinics and physician practices.
- Represented an academic medical center in the Philadelphia/South Jersey market in a joint venture with a national dialysis company.
- Represented an academic medical center in Alabama in a series of dialysis asset sales to a national dialysis company.
- Represented an academic medical center in Pennsylvania in the repurchase of and contemporaneous sale of its dialysis assets to a national dialysis company.
- Represented an academic medical center in Florida in the sale of its dialysis operations to a large dialysis organization.
- Represented a four-hospital health system in New Jersey in the joint venture of its dialysis operations.
- Represented a community hospital in New Jersey in the joint venture of its dialysis operations.
- Represented an academic medical center in Florida in a trauma center affiliation with a for-profit hospital company.
- Represented a Mid-Atlantic community hospital system in the sale of its reference lab assets to a national lab services provider.
- Represented a Florida-based, health system-owned regional group purchasing organization in the sale of assets and purchase of equity in a national group purchasing organization in St. Louis.
- Represented a community health system in the joint venture of its inpatient psychiatric program with a national hospital management company.
- Represented an academic medical center in Illinois in the structuring and negotiating of a three-way joint venture for reference lab services with a national lab company and health system competitor.
Chambers USA "Recognised Practitioner" Illinois - Healthcare (2017)
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
- The Catholic University of America, J.D., 1990
- Indiana University, B.A., 1985
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys