Monica A. Novak assists clients with a range of employee benefits matters, including health and welfare benefits, tax-qualified retirement plans, nonqualified plans and equity compensation plans. She routinely counsels clients regarding the design, implementation and administration of benefit plans to ensure consistency with plan terms and compliance with the Internal Revenue Code and ERISA requirements, as well as the requirements under Health Care Reform.
- Represented tax-exempt and for-profit clients in employee benefit matters related to mergers and acquisitions, including negotiation of stock and asset purchase agreements and merger agreements, resolution of potential benefit plan liabilities, and integration of benefit plans following acquisitions.
- Assisted clients in correcting benefit plan compliance errors through the IRS Employee Plans Compliance Resolution System and the Department of Labor Voluntary Fiduciary Correction Program.
- Advised clients on implementing employee wellness programs that comply with the various nondiscrimination regulations applicable to wellness programs – HIPAA, ADA, and GINA.
- Advised clients on designing and implementing equity compensation plans.
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 2008, Journal of Law & Gender
- National-Louis University-Chicago, M.Ed., 2003
- Knox College, B.A., 1999, magna cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California