Sumaya M. Noush counsels health care clients on strategic and operational matters, including transactions, corporate governance and regulatory compliance. She helps clients navigate the daily challenges of running their operations while identifying opportunities where others see obstacles. Sumaya’s peers and clients appreciate her enduring commitment to their business goals and have described her as “reliably accurate” and “limitless.”
Sumaya is an active contributor to the DBR on Data blog, where she regularly publishes material on a wide range of health care information privacy issues, including HIPAA enforcement efforts and government-issued cybersecurity guidance. Sumaya also authored the Illinois section of the American Health Lawyers Association’s current Health Care Fraud Law 50-State Survey.
Sumaya serves on the Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys Membership Committee and Diversity & Inclusion Committee, respectively, and on the Junior Board of SOS Illinois Villages, a local nonprofit organization that offers an innovative approach to traditional foster care. Sumaya is also an active member of the firm’s Diverse Summer Internship Program Committee where she and other associates designed and currently lead an internship for diverse students that prepares them for the practice of law.
Between 2014 and 2016, Sumaya served as a Client Advocate and a Social Policy Advocate at Loyola University Chicago School of Law’s Health Justice Project, a fully integrated medical–legal partnership at Erie Family Health Centers in which health care providers, lawyers, and law students collaborated to resolve social determinants of poor health for patients. The Health Justice Project received the Outstanding Medical–Legal Partnership Award from the National Center for Medical–Legal Partnership in 2015.
Before beginning her career as a health care lawyer, Sumaya was a Visiting Scholar at The Hastings Center in New York—the world’s first bioethics research institute—and an Instructor and Research Fellow at Yale University’s Sherwin B. Nuland Summer Institute in Bioethics.
- Advises clients on strategic corporate transactions within the health care industry.
- Assists hospitals and health system entities with medical staff issues including credentialing and fair hearing matters.
- Counsels health care clients on a variety of compliance matters related to:
- HIPAA privacy and security.
- Confidentiality of substance use disorder patient records.
- Section 1557 nondiscrimination.
- OIG exclusion.
- Complex state licensure issues.
- Provides a large health system continuous support with strategic post-acute care initiatives.
- Served as lead associate on tax-exempt bond financing matters.
2017 Person of the Year (Group Award to “The Travel Ban Lawyers”), Chicago Magazine
2016 NCH Health Care Innovation Bright Spark Award, Northwest Community Healthcare
2016 Loyola Leadership, Service and Public Interest Recognition Award
Health Law Fellow, Loyola University Chicago School of Law
CALI Award: Health Care Business & Finance, Loyola University Chicago School of Law
CALI Award: Health Law Legal Writing, Loyola University Chicago School of Law
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., Certificates in Health Law and Health Care Compliance, 2016, Annals Heath Law Journal
- Loyola University Chicago, M.A., Bioethics and Health Policy, Neiswanger Institute for Bioethics, Stritch School of Medicine, 2016
- Loyola University Chicago, B.A. & B.S., 2013, magna cum laude
- American Bar Association, Health Law
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Centers for Disability and Elder Law, Pro Bono Lawyer
- Chicago Bar Association
- Chicago Legal Responders Network, Pro Bono Lawyer
- Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys:
- Board of Directors (2020)
- Diversity & Inclusion Committee, Co-Chair (2020)
- Membership Committee (2018 – 2020)
- Pro Bono Committee
- Illinois Bar Association
- National Immigration Justice Center, Pro Bono Lawyer
- SOS Children’s Villages of Illinois, Emerging Leaders Board
- Wills for Heroes, Pro Bono Lawyer
- Women’s Bar Association of Illinois