Kenneth A. Murphy is an experienced trial lawyer adept at handling complex civil matters. He has nearly 30 years of experience defending product liability and other tort claims, including unfair trade practice and off-label promotion claims, on behalf of pharmaceutical companies and other commercial entities. Ken also is well-versed in the various aspects of civil litigation, from deposition strategy to jury selection and trial theme development.
Ken has litigated and tried to verdict cases involving claims of professional malpractice, breach of contract, defamation, wrongful termination, premises liability, sexual harassment and tortious interference with contract, in federal and state courts in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and South Carolina.
Ken is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and has been named a “Litigation Star” by Benchmark Litigation. In 2016, Ken was awarded the J. Austin Norris Award by the Barristers’ Association of Philadelphia for distinguished service to the legal profession and the community at large.
Ken has significant experience defending complex pharmaceutical actions in state, federal and appellate courts.
- Serves as Defense Liaison Counsel in personal injury litigation regarding prescription antipsychotic medicine, antipsychotic medicine, anticonvulsant medicine, and pelvic mesh products, all pending in the Philadelphia Common Pleas Mass Tort Program.
- First chaired the defense efforts of a client facing two Attorney General-initiated cases alleging fraud and off-label promotion of prescription antipsychotic medicines.
Chambers USA, Nationwide, Product Liability & Mass Torts (2019)
"2019 Renaissance Man Award," National Bar Association Women Lawyers Division (WLD) - Philadelphia Chapter
Barristers’ Association of Philadelphia J. Austin Norris Award
“Litigation Star,” Benchmark Litigation
Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers
Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America
Best Lawyers®, "Lawyer of the Year," Product Liability Litigation - Defendants (2020)
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
Kenneth Murphy is a distinguished trial attorney who frequently acts on large-scale mass torts arising from the pharmaceutical space as well as handling unfair trade practice claims. Interviewees commend his expert advocacy skills, noting: ‘He's the type of guy who could try a case anywhere.’Chambers USA (2019)
- New Jersey
- Duke University School of Law, J.D., 1989
- Duke University, B.A., 1986
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Barristers’ Association of Philadelphia (Past President)
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Judicial Selection and Retention Commission
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Pennsylvania Bar Association (Past Zone Delegate)
- Presbytery of Philadelphia (Past Trustee)