Kenneth A. Murphy has more than 25 years of experience defending product liability and other tort claims, including unfair trade practice and off-label promotion claims, on behalf of pharmaceutical companies and other commercial entities. He is chair of the Products Liability and Mass Tort Practice Group and a managing partner of the firm.
An experienced trial lawyer, Ken routinely prepares and defends company witnesses at depositions, and conducts depositions of plaintiffs and expert witnesses. Ken also has litigated and tried to verdict cases involving claims of professional malpractice, breach of contract, defamation, wrongful termination, premises liability, sexual harassment and tortious interference with contract, in federal and state courts in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and South Carolina.
Ken is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and has been named a “Litigation Star” by Benchmark Litigation. In 2016, Ken was awarded the J. Austin Norris Award by the Barristers’ Association of Philadelphia for distinguished service to the legal profession and the community at large.
Ken has significant experience defending complex pharmaceutical actions in state, federal and appellate courts.
- Serves as Defense Liaison Counsel in personal injury litigation regarding prescription antipsychotic medicine, antipsychotic medicine, anticonvulsant medicine, and pelvic mesh products, all pending in the Philadelphia Common Pleas Mass Tort Program.
- First chaired the defense efforts of a client facing two Attorney General-initiated cases alleging fraud and off-label promotion of prescription antipsychotic medicines.
“Litigation Star,” Benchmark Litigation
Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers
Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
- New Jersey
- Duke University School of Law, J.D., 1989
- Duke University, B.A., 1986
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Barristers’ Association of Philadelphia (Past President)
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Judicial Selection and Retention Commission
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Pennsylvania Bar Association (Past Zone Delegate)
- Presbytery of Philadelphia (Past Trustee)