John P. Mulhern* focuses his practice on insurance regulatory, business planning and transaction matters at the state and federal level in the U.S. as well as internationally, with particular experience in cross-border trade. He has extensive experience representing insurers, reinsurers, captives, intermediaries, brokers, commercial insurance buyers, trade associations, alternative markets, and other participants in the insurance marketplace.
John advises both U.S. and non-U.S. insurers on planning new or expanded operations in the U.S., acquiring existing operations, and market entry and exit strategies. He has assisted insurance clients with the formation of new companies, acquisition of books of business, development of new products and markets, and with high-profile and complex multi-state compliance projects.
John also advises financial institutions and other businesses outside the traditional insurance industry pertaining to their risk transfer activities and their insurance-related operations. He has interacted with regulators throughout the country and assisted state regulators in the drafting of regulatory and legislative proposals. He also frequently testifies at regulatory and legislative hearings.
John has done extended work on esoteric and nonstandard accidental health products with respect to risk transfer elements of various aspects of the sharing economy. He has advised life insurers on XXX and AXXX reserve requirements and related issues.
As an active participant at the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) meetings, John has served as a member of various NAIC technical resource groups, addressing such diverse issues as reinsurance collateral reform, nonadmitted insurance transactional, liquidations and receiverships, premium taxation, and related issues.
* John Mulhern's practice is limited to advising clients on U.S. law, and he is not admitted to practice as a solicitor in England and Wales.
John’s extensive experience representing and advising participants in the insurance marketplace includes:
- Represent admitted insurers and brokers in market entry, market withdrawal, transfers of books of business, implementation of merged operations and resolution of major compliance issues with state insurance regulators.
- Represent regulated entities in investigations by regulatory agencies.
- Advise overseas insurers, U.S. insurers, U.S. intermediaries and others on all aspects of non-admitted insurance in the United States.
- Assist life insurers on issues related to XXX and AXXX reserve requirements.
- Assist U.S. groups in establishing non-admitted insurance operations.
- Assist non-U.S. groups in establishing U.S.-based insurer and brokerage operations.
- Assist leading insurance brokers with compliance and operational planning issues.
- Advise on international insurance and reinsurance transactions.
- Advise on alternative risk transfer issues.
- Work on U.S. trust structures and other U.S.-based assets to support non-U.S. insurers operating in the U.S.
- Advise on the development of unique products and use of Internet marketing and transaction facilities.
- Advise on the initial formation, 50-state authorization and ongoing operations of a mutual financial guaranty insurer.
- Advise on formation of offshore captive insurer for a U.S.-based university.
- Advise on the formation and taxation of captive insurers in US domiciles.
- Advise clients regarding UK Part VII transfers and U.S. recognition.
- Represent clients on issues related to the New York Free Trade Zone.
- Advise clients on matters related to requests for extraordinary dividend approval.
Chambers USA, New York Recognized Practitioner, Insurance (2016)
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
John Mulhern is well regarded for his extensive regulatory expertise. He attracts a broad domestic and international client base, advising on issues such as regulatory concerns arising from cross-border market expansion.Chambers USA (2017)
- New Jersey
- New York
- University of Illinois College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- St. John's University, B.A., cum laude
- NAPSLO Legislative Committee