Matthew M. Morrissey focuses his practice on complex litigation matters pending in federal and state courts throughout the country. Matt represents clients in commercial disputes, class actions, internal investigations, securities litigation and other financial services matters. He also frequently represents clients facing enforcement actions that involve federal, state and municipal authorities.
Matt is a regular contributor to the firm’s TCPA blog, which provides breaking news and important insights about the TCPA, and he is a member of the firm’s TCPA Team. The firm has also featured Matt’s work on its SEC Law Perspectives Blog, which provides reports, discussion, and analysis on noteworthy trends in enforcement and regulatory activity of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
Matt maintains an active pro bono practice. He recently worked with a multi-disciplinary team to draft an amicus brief for a U.S. Supreme Court matter. Matt has represented pro bono clients in Section 1983 civil rights actions and cases alleging claims arising under the Federal Fair Housing Act and the Illinois Human Rights Act. He has also served as a volunteer at a Chicago legal aid clinic where he advised pro bono clients on a variety of civil and criminal matters.
- Currently representing numerous clients in class action cases pending in federal and state courts across the country.
- Represented a national retail chain in a putative nationwide class action alleging consumer fraud and related claims. The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois dismissed all of plaintiff’s claims with prejudice. Plaintiff appealed the trial court order but agreed to a voluntary dismissal of all claims, without any settlement payment, following the submission of all briefs in U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
- Represented clients in numerous federal and state class actions alleging violations of the Securities Act of 1933.
- Represented clients in a shareholder derivative action alleging that the trustees of a Delaware statutory trust breached their fiduciary duties.
- Represented corporate and individual clients in an antitrust class action filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois. The Court granted our motion for summary judgment and disposed of all claims against our clients.
- Represented corporate and individual clients in an antitrust class action filed in Madison County, Illinois.
- Represented an international automobile manufacturer in a consumer class action alleging the existence of an undisclosed defect in the transmissions of certain automobile models.
- Represented one of the world’s largest broadcast media companies in numerous putative TCPA class actions filed in the Northern District of Illinois.
- Represented a major pharmacy chain in a putative nationwide class action alleging violations of the TCPA. Plaintiff agreed to dismiss all claims voluntarily and without any settlement payment after we filed our motion to dismiss.
- Represented numerous clients in TCPA cases and other consumer class action matters in federal courts across the country.
- Defended a large healthcare company in a lease dispute regarding medical office buildings and other facilities located near two hospitals in Sun City, Arizona. The trial court granted our motion to dismiss and awarded our client its attorneys’ fees and costs. Plaintiff appealed the decision to the Arizona Court of Appeals, but the court affirmed the trial court’s decision and granted our client a separate award of attorneys’ fees for the costs of the appeal.
- Prevailed on all monetary claims in a multi-day, private arbitration proceeding related to a partnership dispute involving a real estate development company.
- Represented a commercial tenant in a dispute with its former landlord in a private mediation proceeding.
- Represented a social media marketing company in a trade secrets dispute with its former Senior Director of Business Development and her new employer. The case involved claims arising under the Illinois Trade Secrets Act and the federal Defend Trade Secrets Act as well as claims related to the non-competition, non-solicitation and non-disclosure provisions in the individual defendant’s employment contract.
- Represented an executive officer of a medical practice in a corporate governance dispute with the other executive officers of the practice.
- Represented a real estate executive in connection with his response to a subpoena related to an ongoing dispute between two large real estate brokerage firms.
- Represented a banking client in numerous litigation matters pending in a variety of Illinois courts in disputes related to commercial loans.
- Represented an insurer in an environmental contamination lawsuit filed in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin.
- Obtained partial summary judgment in favor of excess insurer in a major environmental pollution coverage case in Madison County, Illinois.
- Represented the former CEO and Chairman of one of the nation’s largest energy companies in a multi-day civil tax fraud trial in the U.S. District Court for the District of Wyoming. We prevailed on all claims at trial.
- Represented an automobile engineer in an international criminal investigation related to automobile emissions issues.
- Represented a trade union in connection with its response to a federal law enforcement subpoena and related federal criminal charges against a union executive.
- Represented a publically traded company in a federal criminal investigation related to its accounting practices and other disclosures submitted to the SEC.
- Represented the Chief Compliance Officer of an investment management company in an SEC investigation regarding the timing of certain bond transactions.
- Represented a publically traded manufacturing company in an internal investigation regarding the conduct of a former corporate officer and provided advice regarding the company’s obligations under the Securities Act of 1933 and the Securities Exchange Act of 1934.
- Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D., 2010, Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law
- Miami University, B.A., 2007, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- The People's Music School, Founding Member of the Junior Board (2013–Present)