James H. Millar, co-chair of the firm’s Corporate Restructuring Group, has more than 20 years of experience in bankruptcy law and corporate restructuring. He represents bondholders in Chapter 11 cases, enforcing their rights under bankruptcy law, creditors’ rights law and contract law. He guides clients through out-of-court restructurings and handles bankruptcy-related litigation and insolvency-sensitive transactions. In addition, Jim represents financial and strategic acquirers of distressed companies.
Jim is a licensed commercial pilot and registered professional engineer.
Jim has extensive experience representing bondholders, acquirers and other creditors in Chapter 11 cases and other matters. His representative matters include:
- Represented ad hoc group of bondholders of Maxcom Telecom.
- Represented ad hoc group of bondholders of SunEdison Inc.
- Represented bondholder of Nuverra Environmental Solutions, Inc. in a confirmation objection and appeal.
- Represented ad hoc noteholders group in jointly-administered Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases of Woodbridge Group of Companies LLC.
- Represents bondholders in litigation arising from restructuring of Cleveland Unlimited.
- Represented first lien bondholders/indenture trustee of Energy Future Intermediate Holding Company LLC.
- Represented indenture trustee as special counsel in Norske Skog exchange-offer litigation.
- Represented unsecured bondholders of Caesars Entertainment Operating Company, Inc.
- Represented certain bondholders of Suntech Power Holdings Co, Ltd.
- Represented the creditors' committee of Frontier Airlines.
- Represented the bondholders of AtheroGenics who commenced an involuntary bankruptcy against the company.
- Represented the Canadian affiliates of Calpine Corporation in the Chapter 11 cases of their U.S. affiliates and in related claims objections and avoidance actions involving hundreds of millions of dollars in claims.
- Represented Travel Centers of America in distressed acquisition of Quaker Steak and Lube.
- Represented the LSTA, SIFMA, and ISDA as amici in the Enron Transferee Litigation.
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
- New York
- University of Colorado School of Law, J.D., 1995, Order of the Coif
- Colorado State University, B.S., 1989
- Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Advisors
- Turnaround Management Association