Michael W. McTigue Jr. is a sought-after advocate with a track record of trying and winning complex litigation and arbitration proceedings throughout the U.S. and globally. Michael is Chair of the firm’s nationally recognized Litigation Practice.
Michael is trusted by global companies across a broad range of industries to be lead counsel in their most sophisticated and important legal disputes. His representative matters have included consumer, securities, product liability, bankruptcy, intellectual property, unfair trade practices, commercial and mergers and acquisitions arbitrations and litigations. He has particular experience in defending class actions.
Michael has been recognized by Benchmark Litigation as a Pennsylvania Litigation Star and been named to BTI’s Client Service All-Star Team, singled out by in-house corporate counsel for delivering “unsurpassed excellence in client service.” He serves as an ex officio member of the firm’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee.
Prior to joining the firm, Michael served as a law clerk for the Honorable Donald W. VanArtsdalen, United States District Judge for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Michael is currently defending several prominent companies in national consumer class actions. He has extensive experience under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the Video Privacy and Protection Act (VPPA), the Cable Communications Policy Act (CCPA), and numerous state consumer protection statutes. He has successfully defeated class certification motions in both federal and state courts. Michael has also successfully defended investment advisors, and directors and officers in securities class actions. In addition, he defeated the certification of a national civil rights class action challenging an intercollegiate initial eligibility athletic rule.
Recent representative matters include:
- Won a putative class action in federal court in California alleging violations of the Consumer Fraud and Abuse Act, the Comprehensive Computer Data Access and Fraud Act and California’s Business & Professions Code.
- Obtained dismissal in a putative class action asserting claims under the TCPA.
- Defended numerous well-known companies against claims brought under the TCPA and obtained dismissals for a national cable provider and transportation logistics company.
Michael defends global companies in domestic and international arbitration proceedings. He has successfully arbitrated numerous disputes to judgment and has experience with most major arbitration bodies and their rules.
Recently, Michael secured a ruling by the International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) against a company that had repudiated a mineral supply agreement in South America. The three-member tribunal awarded the firm’s client more than $10 million in damages and attorneys’ fees.
Michael’s broad commercial experience includes:
- Obtained a production injunction in federal court that forced a client's competitor to cease all operations based on international computer software, trade secret and other intellectual property theft.
- Pursued an emergency equity action for rescission of a corporate transaction on behalf of a global company, which ultimately resulted in a complete rescission of the challenged transaction and the return of all purchase money.
- Obtained summary judgment on all counts in a contentious lawsuit in Pennsylvania state court stemming from the sale of a family business.
- Defended numerous companies in merger and acquisition arbitrations and litigations.
BTI’s Client Service All-Star Team Member
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
- New Jersey
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., 1993, cum laude; Boston University Law Review
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., 1990, cum laude
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Pennsylvania
- The Disciplinary Board of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, Senior Hearing Committee Member