Wayne B. Mason is the quintessential trial lawyer who knows how to deliver solutions for your business needs, from legal matters to thoughtful counsel on a range of issues that contribute to the results you care about. This lawyer is different – this trial lawyer delivers peace of mind through innovation and efficiency so you can focus on your bottom line and business objectives.
Wayne has tried cases from coast to coast. However, well aware that only a small percentage of cases are actually tried, the value Wayne adds in litigation goes well beyond trial work, and his clients appreciate his instinct for a solid win. He has saved clients huge sums of money not only by obtaining defense verdicts but also by having the unique ability to evaluate risk based on more than 35 years of looking jurors in the eye. A testament to his success trying a diverse array of complex matters, Wayne has been admitted to try cases pro hac vice in over 30 states.
Wayne’s prowess rests on his “Three I’s” foundation – Integrity, Intelligence (IQ & EQ), Intensity – qualities rarely found in one person. A master of the power of narrative in litigation, his story-based approach to presenting information entertains, instructs, and most importantly, persuades his audiences.
In Wayne, clients find the trial lawyer they want when they need a steady hand on the tiller. His exceptional communication skills and “cut-to-the-chase” style give him a clear edge when dealing with the media and protecting his clients’ reputation and corporate brand. A quick study, regardless of the subject matter, Wayne makes the complex clear and simple for any audience.
Wayne is recognized for his advocacy gifts by, among others, Chambers USA, Benchmark Litigation (Litigation Star), Lawdragon 500, Litigation Counsel of America, American Board of Trial Advocates and Best Lawyers in America.
Wayne defends national and international clients in diverse complex litigation matters from the exclusive vantage of a seasoned trial attorney and a master of the end game. Notably, he has substantial experience with class action cases and serves as lead counsel on bellwether cases where the ramifications of a verdict can make new law that works to the advantage of entire industries. While many lawyers handle class actions and some have even tried class certification hearings, few besides Wayne hold the distinction of having tried a class action case after it was certified.
Wayne’s clients know they can count on his courtroom savvy and cool resourcefulness under pressure, making him the ideal lawyer for tense situations, regardless the subject matter of the case. He has tried to verdict cases in disparate disciplines from catastrophic products matters to various complex commercial disputes.
A list of some of his engagements demonstrates this range:
- Lead trial counsel in qui tam litigation alleging False Claims Act violations
- Led the defense of one of the largest school districts in the United States
- Successful defense of shareholder and policyholder derivative matters
- Lead trial counsel in various Life Sciences matters
- Tried products liability case involving child suffering third-degree burns over 90 percent of body
- Valued strategist in corporate governance and SEC matters for Fortune 100 clients
- Successful defense of Intellectual Property cases
- Resolution of business-to-business commercial disputes by trial and negotiation
- Lead counsel in multidistrict litigation (MDL)
- Lead defense counsel in one of the largest environmental crises in U.S. history
- Secured a defense verdict in what has been reported as the largest professional liability engineering case ever tried in the United States
- Secured a very favorable jury verdict in a Mary Carter case tried for six weeks in Los Angeles
- Lead counsel in a class action tried in Missouri.
Chambers USA, Texas, Litigation: General Commercial, "Recognised Practitioner" (2019)
American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
"Litigation Star," Benchmark Litigation (2017)
The Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers (2016)
Best Lawyers in America
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
“Unquestionably, Mr. Mason ... possess[es] … a level of skill and experience only a very small percentageMember, American College of Trial Lawyers
of lawyers have … as demonstrated throughout this litigation and by the verdict.”
- Samford University, Cumberland School of Law, J.D., 1984
- University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, B.S., 1981
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- National Center for State Courts – Lawyers Division
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel, Past President and Executive Committee member
- Lawyers for Civil Justice, Past President and Executive Committee member
- Defense Research Institute: The Voice of the Defense Bar, Past Member of Board of Directors
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
Wayne's Areas of Focus
- Accounting Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Class Actions
- Commercial Litigation
- Energy and Construction Litigation
- Environmental Litigation
- ERISA Litigation
- Health Care Litigation
- Professional Services Liability
- Real Estate Litigation and Arbitration
- Securities and Corporate Governance Litigation
- Products Liability and Mass Tort
- Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Litigation