Stacy A. Lutkus has experience in all aspects of complex reorganization matters, both in and out-of-court. She advises clients in preparing chapter 11 matters for filing and negotiating restructuring transactions, including distressed asset sales/purchases, debtor-in-possession financing and exit financing. Stacy represents debtors, hedge funds and bank lenders in the financial services, real estate, telecommunications, travel, and gaming industries. Moreover, Stacy’s background in governmental work has allowed her to develop a deep understanding of United States tax and anti-money laundering statutes.
Prior to joining Drinker Biddle, Stacy worked for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York as the lead Law Clerk for the Lehman bankruptcy, which was presided over first by the Honorable James M. Peck. After Judge Peck’s retirement, Stacy remained at the Court to manage his former case load, serving as a law clerk to the Honorable Shelley C. Chapman, the Honorable James L. Garrity, Jr., and the Honorable Robert E. Grossman. Prior to this, Stacy worked as an attorney at two AmLaw100 firms and as a law clerk to the late Honorable James F. McClure, Jr. in the United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania.
Before entering the legal field, Stacy spent several years working as a Special Agent for the United States Department of the Treasury Internal Revenue Service, Criminal Investigation Division, where she gained experience conducting witness interviews, participating in enforcement operations, preparing special agent reports and testifying in court proceedings. Stacy later served as an intern for the Organized Crime Strike Force at the United States Department of Justice, United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Previously, Stacy was a Fulbright Scholar at the Universitaet Mannheim, Germany, where she conducted graduate research in economics.
- Former Lead Law Clerk on Lehman Brothers bankruptcy and SIPA liquidation cases.
- Participated in mediation of labor issues in connection with American Airlines chapter 11 cases.
- Participated in mediation of plan negotiations in ResCap, Syms/Filene’s Basement, and Excel Maritime chapter 11 cases.
- Served as project finance counsel to REIT acting as primary landlord to several large banks.
- Advised Caribbean luxury resort in connection with refinancing of its respective ABL facilities.
- Lead counsel to family of Nevada casinos in the negotiation and preparation of its prepackaged chapter 11 case.
- Counsel to four major distributor of pre-packaged music and major film studio distributors as creditors (secured and unsecured) in chapter 11 and chapter 7 proceedings and out-of-court restructurings of various music and movie retailers.
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
Served for more than six years as Lead Law Clerk on The Lehman Brothers Bankruptcy and SIPA Liquidation cases
Panel Participant, 2016 International Insolvency Institute NextGen ConferenceTokyo, Japan
- New York
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 2002, University of Pennsylvania Journal of International Economic Law
- Drexel University, B.S., 1997, magna cum laude
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Capital District Bankruptcy Bar Association
- Federal Bar Council, Bankruptcy Litigation Committee