Mita K. Lakhia handles a variety of matters across the spectrum of intellectual property litigation and counseling. Mita’s practice focuses on trademarks, advertising, and data security and privacy – and the unique intersect of these overlapping fields. Mita has experience with trademark counseling, prosecution, litigation, TTAB proceedings and portfolio management. Mita advises clients in matters related to advertising, promotions, and social media, and the impact of data collection and use related to advertising practices. Mita also has experience with information technology and health care technology, and she drafts a variety of agreements in the software, hosting and health care spaces.
Mita is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (US) and advises clients with compliance issues related to HIPAA, COPPA, PCI-DSS, and other federal, state and international privacy and security laws and industry standards.
- Manages a dynamic international trademark portfolio and advises on the creation of a global branding policy.
- Received favorable outcomes in contentious litigation at the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and successes in protecting clients’ valuable trademark rights.
- Counseled clients to reach amicable solutions to trademark disputes as possible and negotiated worldwide consent agreements.
- Drafted numerous privacy policies ranging from websites to mobile apps – to global marketing privacy policies to advise a client in the pharmaceutical space on acceptable uses of data received from the spectrum of marketing activities.
- Assisted numerous clients across industries in data breach obligations and handled the reporting and notification obligations related to such data breaches.
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
- University of Illinois College of Law, J.D., 2012, cum laude, Elder Law Journal
- University of Texas, B.A. & B.B.A., 2009
- Center for Disability and Elder Law, Young Professional's Board
- Minds Matter, Chicago Chapter, Mentor