Andrew C. Kassner is the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the firm, responsible for overseeing the firm’s management, strategic direction and commitment to client service. Andy was elected Chairman in 2014 after serving as the firm’s Executive Partner for 10 years, during which the firm grew from 360 lawyers primarily located in the mid-Atlantic region to a national firm of more than 600 attorneys in offices from coast-to-coast.
Andy is a well-known restructuring lawyer who chaired the firm’s Corporate Restructuring Practice Group for almost 20 years. His practice is concentrated in workouts, complex Chapter 11 cases and related bankruptcy litigation. He has argued cases before more than 40 different judges in 30 federal jurisdictions throughout the country. He has represented clients in more than 450 Chapter 11 cases, including debtors, secured creditors, significant unsecured creditors, and interested parties (such as leasing companies, suppliers and insurance companies), trustees, committees and purchasers of assets. Andy has also developed particular capabilities in all aspects of business retail and manufacturing restructurings, real estate, hospitality, lease finance, telecommunications and health care insolvency matters.
Andy currently authors a regular column for The Legal Intelligencer on significant decisions and developments in the areas of restructuring and distressed company corporate governance. He has been designated as one of only two “Star Individuals” in bankruptcy in Pennsylvania by Chambers USA and described as a “fabulous strategic partner and a wonderful spokesperson who knows what to say as much as what not to say” in addition to “an adversary you can trust; he has been around a long time and deserves a lot of respect.” He has lectured at the University of Pennsylvania Wharton School of Business on corporate business bankruptcies, and taught advanced bankruptcy law at Rutgers University School of Law-Camden for more than 10 years.
- Represented Agent of senior lenders in $350 million secured facility in the chapter 11 case of Philadelphia Newspapers.
- Represented Agent of senior lenders syndicate in restructuring of lending facilities in excess of $500 million to debt collection company.
- Represented Agent of senior lenders in restructuring of Philadelphia-based iconic brand snack and cake manufacturing company.
- Represented Agent for secured lenders in out-of-court restructuring of largest independent radio station in Philadelphia.
- Represented Citizens Bank, N.A. as lender in Oz Gas Co. and affiliates chapter 11 cases in Pennsylvania.
- Represented super regional commercial bank in out-of-court restructurings of loans in aggregate amount in excess of $400 million.
- Represented lenders in resort bankruptcy and receivership hospitality cases of Mount Airy Lodge, Mountain Laurel Resort, and Split Rock Resort.
- Represented debtor in Plumbing Holdings Corp. chapter 11 case in Delaware.
- Represented energy industry debtor in out-of-court restructuring involving environmental liability claims exceeding $1 billion.
- Represented insurance company holding company debtor in chapter 11 case of The Mixx Group, Inc.
- Representation of a dozen portfolio debtor companies in restructurings on behalf of two mid-Atlantic-based private equity sponsors.
- Represented debtor in out-of-court restructuring of Midwest homebuilder with over $400 million in debt.
- Co-counsel to debtor in chapter 11 cases of American Safety Razor Corporation in Delaware.
- Acts as national creditors’ rights counsel to Penske Truck Leasing Co., L.P., the nation’s second largest truck leasing company.
- Acted as national creditors’ rights counsel to DVI, Inc., a specialty medical lender, in over 100 medical diagnostic center restructurings and bankruptcy cases.
- Acted as national real estate loan restructuring counsel for one of 10 largest savings banks in the country in connection with more than 100 commercial real estate credits totaling over $1 billion.
- Represented General Electric Capital Company as lender in out-of-court restructurings and chapter 11 cases, including but not limited to American Appliance Co., PDC Solutions, Inc., Fleming Companies, AAI Pharma, Independence Air, Focal Communications, Norvergence, CoreComm New York, and JL French Automotive Castings, Inc.
- Acted as counsel to Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in Ad National, Inc. chapter 11 case.
- Acted as counsel to Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in prima facie chapter 11 case.
Fellow, American College of Bankruptcy; Inducted 2006
Chambers USA, Pennsylvania, one of two “Star Individuals”, Bankruptcy/Restructuring (2012–2017)
Appearance, CNN’s Managing with Lou Dobbs on issues in bankruptcy
Featured as a speaker on panels sponsored by the:
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Strategic Research Institute
- National Business Institute
- Turnaround Management Association
- Practising Law Institute
- Legal Labs
Amazing Practitioner…is praised as a trusted adviser, a great tactician and a very results oriented guy. Clients note that he 'knows the Bankruptcy Code inside out and has excellent business sense.'
–Chambers USA (2014)
Chair and CEO of the firm Andrew Kassner is highly praised by clients, one of whom comments: ‘He has amazing business acumen. We look for someone who is not just good with the law, but has an understanding of the commercial side, and he really gets it,’ adding: ‘He's one of my go-to guys for anything we have that's complicated.’
–Chambers USA (2017)
Pennsylvania, Bankruptcy/RestructuringChambers USA (2015-2017)
- New York
- New York Law School, J.D., 1983, cum laude
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., 1980
- Delaware Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Bankruptcy Section, Co-Chair
- Eastern District of Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Conference
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Consumer Bankruptcy Assistance Project, Board Member