Stephen J. Jorden represents insurers and other financial institutions in complex litigation across the country, including major market conduct class actions, commercial contract litigation, and consumer fraud cases. He has served as coordinating defense counsel for multi-jurisdictional matters involving overlapping class actions, state opt-out litigation, and regulatory actions. He has argued appeals in multiple jurisdictions and matters before the U.S. Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation. Steve also defends clients in multiple individual state and multistate regulatory investigations and proceedings. He regularly represents clients pursuing or defending claims brought under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO).
Steve also frequently counsels clients on litigation and regulatory risks associated with sales and marketing practices, contracts, and nonguaranteed benefit determinations, including changes to cost of insurance rates.
Steve is the regional partner in charge of Drinker Biddle’s Hartford office.
Steve has represented financial institutions in defense of multiple class actions and individual claims in jurisdictions across the United States. Representative experience includes:
- Led defense team in successfully opposing certification of a proposed nationwide class of annuity contract holders pursuing breach of contract claims.
- Represented annuity issuer in obtaining dismissal on a preliminary motion in multi-plaintiff, multi-defendant lawsuit alleging fraud in the sale of annuities.
- Represented life insurer in defending individual and class action lawsuits alleging contract and tort claims arising out of changes to cost of insurance rates.
- From 2007 to 2014, represented annuity issuer in defending multiple overlapping state and federal class actions involving allegations about sales of annuity products.
- Represented annuity issuer in obtaining dismissal of putative class action alleging fraud in the sale of annuities under the federal RICO statute.
- Represented life insurer in obtaining dismissal of RICO claims alleging misrepresentation in the sale of life insurance policies to fund benefit plans.
- Represented the Society of Lloyd’s in defending putative class action claims and opposing multidistrict consolidation of cases filed by Lloyd’s seeking enforcement of foreign judgments.
- Represented life insurers in multiple proceedings brought by or against state insurance regulators.
- Thompson v. Allianz Life Ins. Co. of N. Am., No. 17-96 (PAM/TNL), 2019 WL 337587 (D. Minn. Jan. 28, 2019).
- Dolan v. PHL Variable Ins. Co., et al. No. 13:5-CV-09187, 2018 WL 1696650 (M.D. Pa. Apr. 6, 2018).
- Fleisher v. Phoenix Life Insurance Co., No. CV-11-8405 (S.D.N.Y.).
- U.S. Bank National Association v. PHL Variable Insurance Co., No. CV-11-9517 (C.D. Cal.).
- In re Allianz Life Ins. Co. Deferred Annuity Marketing and Sales Practice Litigation, 517 F. Supp. 1364 (J.P.M.L. Oct. 10, 2007) (successfully opposing consolidation request).
- Mooney v. Allianz Life Ins. Co. of N. Am., 2010 WL 419962 (D. Minn. 2010).
- Negrete v. Allianz Life Ins. Co., 523 F.3d 1091 (9th Cir. 2008).
- In re Am. Investors Life Ins. Co. Annuity Mktg. & Sales Practices Litigation, 2008 WL 2246989 (E.D. Pa. 2008).
- Paul v. AVIVA Life & Annuity Co., No. 3:09-1490, 2009 WL 3815949 (N.D. Tex. Nov. 12, 2009).
- Lloyd's v. Siemon-Netto, 457 F.3d 94 (D.C. Cir. 2006) (affirming summary judgment for Lloyd’s and dismissal of putative class action counterclaims).
- In re the Soc'y of Lloyd's Judgment Enforcement Litigation, 321 F. Supp. 2d 1381 (J.P.M.L. June 15, 2004) (successfully opposing consolidation request).
- Moderator and Speaker, “Product and Sales Practices Class Action and Complex Litigation” and “Social Media and Ethics,” ACI National Advanced Forum on Life Insurance Litigation, Regulatory Enforcement & ERM, New York (April 19−20, 2017)
- Speaker, “Cost of Insurance Rate Increases: Key Considerations and Next Generation of Litigation,” Association of Life Insurance Counsel annual meeting, Colorado Springs, CO (May 2016)
- Speaker, "Latest Developments and Trends in Significant Annuity and Life Insurance Litigation," Insured Retirement Institutes Annual Government, Legal and Regulatory Conference, Washington (July 2015)
- Speaker, "Cost of Insurance Rate Adjustments: Insights on Planning, Exposure and Litigation Preparation," Webinar (October 2014)
- Speaker, "Litigation Forum: Latest Developments and Trends in Significant Annuity and Life Insurance Litigation," IRI Government, Legal & Regulatory Conference 2014, Washington (July 2014)
- Speaker, "A Tale of Two Channels: Annuity POS Disclosure Practices for Captive and Individual Producers," LIMRA/LOMA Regulatory Compliance Exchange, New Orleans (March 2014)
- Speaker, "Latest Developments in Significant Annuity Litigation," Insured Retirement Institute Government, Legal & Regulatory Conference (June 2013)
- Speaker, Insured Retirement Institute 2013 Government, Legal & Regulatory Conference, Washington (June 2013)
- Speaker, 14th Annual Advanced ALI-ABA Conference on Insurance and Financial Services Litigation, Boston (July 2009)
- Co-Author, COI Litigation, Past and Future, Prepared for The Association of Life Insurance Counsel Annual Meeting (May 16, 2016)
- Co-Author, “Developments and Trends in Significant Annuity Litigation,” LIMRA/LOMA 2014 Regulatory Compliance Exchange (March 26, 2014)
- Author, “Annuity Class Action Litigation,” ALI-ABA Conference on Insurance Industry and Financial Services Litigation, (July 9, 2009)
- District of Columbia
- George Washington University Law School, J.D.
- Dickinson College, B.S.
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- The Association of Life Insurance Counsel