Rodney M. Hudson regularly represents major pharmaceutical, medical device and technology companies in trial and appellate courts throughout the country. He has represented clients in eight federal multi-district litigation proceedings and six state coordinated proceedings, involving thousands of cases.
Rodney has successfully guided nationwide legal strategy, managed teams of lawyers, served on trial teams, and argued significant motions before courts in various jurisdictions. As an accomplished lawyer who has secured significant victories for clients at the trial court level and on appeal, Rodney recently won summary judgment based on federal law preemption of claims involving thousands of plaintiffs who alleged that the label on a prescription medicine was inadequate under state law. Rodney has prevailed on many other important dispositive motions, resulting in dismissals of cases, and has been a member of numerous trial teams that have secured defense verdicts in coordinated proceedings and individual cases.
For nearly a decade, Rodney has regularly served as lead, co-lead and liaison counsel in numerous California statewide coordinated proceedings, and has appeared pro hac vice on behalf of clients in jurisdictions around the country, including Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Oregon and Pennsylvania. Rodney also advises clients on risk management, regulatory compliance, and strategies to minimize liability exposure, as well as privacy and data protection matters, including data security breaches.
Prior to joining the firm, Rodney taught for two years at Georgetown University Law Center.
Rodney regularly represents clients in complex litigation at trial and on appeal. He has secured favorable dispositive rulings, including numerous summary judgment wins, and has prevailed on Daubert, Kelly/Frye and other significant motions at the trial court level. Rodney has successfully defended favorable trial court decisions, including dismissals based on summary judgment, on appeal. His representative matters include:
- Served in leadership roles as a member of multiple national counsel teams defending global manufacturers of medical devices and pharmaceutical medicines in federal multidistrict litigation involving thousands of cases pending throughout the country.
- Represented clients as lead, co-lead and liaison defense counsel in multiple high-stakes California statewide coordinated proceedings.
- Drafted, argued and won summary judgment motions based on federal law pre-emption in coordinated proceeding involving thousands of cases alleging that the label on a prescription medicine was inadequate.
- Member of multiple trial teams in federal multidistrict litigation that resulted in defense verdicts.
- Member of trial team in the defense of claims involving recalled medical device.
- Member of trial team that obtained unanimous defense verdict in commercial dispute alleging trade libel, defamation and unfair business practices involving millions of dollars in alleged damages.
- Defended Fortune 10 technology client in putative class action involving alleged defective notebook computers.
- Represented California medical device manufacturer in putative class action, resulting in dismissal of putative class claims and individual claims of plaintiffs at the pleadings stage.
- Obtained summary judgment in multiple cases alleging that prescription product used off-label resulted in significant injuries to patients.
- Secured favorable summary judgment rulings in numerous cases involving over-the-counter medications based on lack of scientific evidence on causation.
- Obtained dismissal of numerous lawsuits brought by foreign plaintiffs who were residents of Taiwan, Canada, Germany and Peru but filed lawsuits in the United States against manufacturers located in the United States.
- Managed numerous nationwide data security breaches involving thousands of consumers and employees.
Former New York State Assembly Graduate Law Scholar
Former North Carolina Legislative Studies Scholar
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
- Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M., 2001
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., 1996
- Syracuse University, Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, M.A., 1996
- Campbell University, B.A., 1993, summa cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- California Supreme Court
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute