Rodney M. Hudson represents Fortune 100 companies and other clients in state and federal courts throughout the country, including in federal multidistrict litigation proceedings and state-coordinated proceedings. He has been a member of national counsel teams in eight federal multidistrict proceedings, involving thousands of cases, and six California- coordinated proceedings. Rodney has served in leadership roles, managed teams of lawyers, developed nationwide legal strategies, and successfully argued and won significant motions before numerous courts. His practice primarily focuses on representing clients in mass torts, products liability, commercial, consumer fraud, unfair competition and class action litigation.
Rodney has successfully represented global manufacturers of prescription and over-the-counter medications, medical devices, computers and other products at trial and on appeal in both state and federal courts. In a mass tort proceeding involving thousands of cases, he recently won summary judgment based on federal law preemption of claims alleging that the label for a prescription medicine was inadequate under state law. Rodney also has been a member of several trial teams that secured defense verdicts in multidistrict litigation proceedings.
For nearly a decade, he has regularly served as lead, co-lead and liaison counsel in numerous California statewide coordinated proceedings, and has appeared pro hac vice on behalf of clients in jurisdictions around the country, including Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Oregon and Pennsylvania. Rodney also advises clients on risk management, regulatory compliance and strategies to minimize liability exposure, as well as privacy and data protection matters, including data security breaches.
Prior to joining the firm, Rodney was selected as a Teaching Fellow and taught for two years at Georgetown University Law Center.
Rodney regularly represents clients in complex litigation. He has successfully defended clients at trial and on appeal. He has obtained favorable dispositive rulings at the trial court level, including numerous summary judgment wins, and has prevailed on Daubert, Kelly/Frye and other significant motions in multiple jurisdictions. Rodney also has successfully defended favorable trial court decisions, including dismissals based on summary judgment, on appeal. His representative matters include:
- Served in leadership roles as a member of multiple national counsel teams defending global manufacturers of medical devices and pharmaceutical products in federal multidistrict litigation involving thousands of cases pending throughout the country.
- Represented clients as lead, co-lead and liaison defense counsel in multiple high-stakes California statewide coordinated proceedings.
- Drafted, argued and won summary judgment based on federal law preemption in coordinated proceeding involving thousands of cases alleging that the label on a prescription medicine was inadequate.
- Member of multiple trial teams in federal multidistrict litigation that resulted in defense verdicts.
- Member of trial team in the defense of claims involving recalled medical device.
- Member of trial team that obtained unanimous defense verdict in commercial dispute alleging trade libel, defamation and unfair business practices involving millions of dollars in alleged damages.
- Defended Fortune 10 technology client in putative class action involving alleged defective notebook computers.
- Represented California medical device manufacturer in putative class action, resulting in dismissal of putative class claims and individual claims of plaintiffs at the pleadings stage.
- Obtained summary judgment in multiple cases alleging that prescription product used off-label resulted in significant injuries to patients.
- Secured favorable summary judgment rulings in numerous cases involving over-the-counter medications based on lack of scientific evidence on causation.
- Obtained dismissal of numerous lawsuits brought by foreign plaintiffs who were residents of Taiwan, Canada, Germany and Peru but filed lawsuits in the United States against manufacturers located in the United States.
- Managed numerous nationwide data security breaches involving thousands of consumers and employees.
Former New York State Assembly Graduate Law Scholar
Former North Carolina Legislative Studies Scholar
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
- Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M., 2001
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., 1996
- Syracuse University, Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, M.A., 1996
- Campbell University, B.A., 1993, summa cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- California Supreme Court
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute