Ingrid Bente Hopkinson represents life insurance and annuity companies in various jurisdictions throughout the United States in connection with disputes arising out of the transfer of structured settlement payment rights. She is the co-leader of Drinker Biddle’s Structured Settlement and Annuity Team. Ingrid’s experience includes assisting owners and issuers of structured settlement annuities in resolving attempted assignments of structured settlement payment rights, third-party garnishments, special needs trust issues, beneficiary issues, Medicaid and Medicare-related issues, tax issues, estate issues, guardianship issues, workers’ compensation matters, child support issues, fraud, interpleader matters, and general business and strategic advice. On behalf of her clients, Ingrid has successfully opposed numerous transfer petitions filed by factoring companies and has successfully responded to attempts by payees to accelerate their payment rights. In addition, Ingrid has developed and managed several successful commutation programs and has filed and completed thousands of commutation-related matters throughout the country. Ingrid regularly advises her clients on payment obligations and liability issues arising out of the administration of annuities and litigates these issues on behalf of insurers throughout the country. Along with other members of the team, Ingrid has developed an overpayment recovery program for various clients.
Ingrid joined Drinker Biddle following a period working for Resolute Management Inc., ACE USA and Reinsurance Solutions International as a technical claims manager and claims analyst in the reinsurance field. Earlier in her career, Ingrid handled various litigation matters, including complex products liability, aviation, premises liability, mass tort, medical malpractice and personal injury actions, as well as various insurance coverage and insurance fraud matters. She is fluent in Danish, German and French.
Prepared the briefs for:
- Settlement Funding of New York, LLC v. Structured Settlement Trust (Ciraolo), 2009 WL 3713136, 2009 NY Misc. LEXIS 3075, 2009 N.Y. Slip Op. 32553 (N.Y. Supp.)
- No More Waiting LLC v. Patricia Hack, 2010 WL 2106481, 2010 Conn. Super. LEXIS 1035 (Ct. Sup.)
- Kalatizadeh v. Zagaroff, 2010 WL 3520754, 2010 N.Y. Misc. LEXIS 5285 (N.Y. Sup. 2010)
- In re: Application of Settlement Funding, LLC d/b/a Peachtree Settlement Funding and Amber D. Stewart, No. 2011-CP-46-0877, slip op. (York Cty. April 21, 2011)
- In re: Approval of Transfer of Structured Settlement Payment Rights from D. Lewis to DRB Capital, LLC, No. 2015-CP-26-7958, slip op. (Horry Cty. April 21, 2016)
Assisted in providing comments and insight to the National Structured Settlement Trade Association regarding amendments to the Illinois, Florida, Virginia, and Maryland structured settlement protection acts.
- New Jersey
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D., 1995, cum laude
- Smith College, B.A., 1987, cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania