Stephen R. Harris represents insurers in structured settlement and coverage litigation. He has also acted as counsel for insurers in appellate matters, including representation of trade associations as amicus curiae. He advises insurers on payment obligations and liability issues arising out of the administration of annuities and litigates these matters on their behalf throughout the country. Stephen has spoken to numerous trade associations, structured settlement brokers and judges on structured settlement issues. He has served as co-chair of the National Structured Settlements Trade Association Legal Committee.
Stephen represents insurance companies in structured settlement litigation and represents insurers in cases arising out of the sale of life insurance policies in the secondary market. He currently represents more insurers in structured settlement litigation throughout the nation than any other attorney.
As counsel for insurers in declaratory judgment actions, he has voided more than $60 million in coverage while his clients retained more than $2 million in premium. He has litigated numerous ERISA, long-term disability and environmental coverage cases and acted as counsel to insurers and brokers on significant coverage claims across the country.
Stephen has represented corporate clients, including insurers, banks and railroads, in commercial litigation disputes, including putative class actions, construction claims, tortious interference, breach of contract, UCC and technology issues. He has extensive experience in the representation of individuals and charitable organizations in various Orphans’ Court disputes, including will contests, and has also litigated and tried medical malpractice and products liability cases. Stephen recently obtained a judgment of $12.5 million for an insurer in the Eastern District of New York in a case involving breach of contract and alter ego issues.
Stephen is an experienced litigator who has tried jury and nonjury cases in federal, state and bankruptcy courts, the Pennsylvania Board of Claims and numerous arbitration panels. His representative matters include:
- Sentry Ins. a Mut. Co. v. Weber, et al., No. 16-3743-cv, 2017, U.S. App. LEXIS 26955 (2d Cir. Dec. 27, 2017), WL 6604240 (2d Cir. Dec. 27, 2017)
- Riccio v. Genworth Fin., No. 011790/2014, 2017 N.Y. Misc. LEXIS 3990 (N.Y. Super. Ct. Oct. 3, 2017).
- Taylor v. N.Y. Life Ins. & Annuity Corp., No. 16-6121, 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 98447, 2017 WL 2773699 (S.D.N.Y. June 26, 2017)
- In Re: Standard Management Services, Inc. v. MacLay, No. 2017 CA 000050 SC, 2017 WL 2702038 (Fla. Cir. Ct. May 17, 2017)
- Johnson v. J.G. Wentworth Originations, LLC, Case No. A156843, -- P.3d --, 2017 WL 767659, 2017 Ore. App. Lexis 280 (Or. Ct. App. Mar. 1, 2017)
- In Re Esperanza Hughes, No. 04-15-00482-CV, 2016 WL 4208116, 2016 Tex. App. LEXIS 8572
- Metropolitan Life Insurance Company And Metlife Tower Resources Group v. B.J.L.Y., LLC, No. CV-15-505, 2016 WL 1444420, 2016 Ark. App. LEXIS 227 (Ark. Ct. App. April 13, 2016).
- In re Griffin, No. CI52654, 2015 WL 5837607 (Tex. Cty. Ct. May 5, 2015)
- RSL Funding, LLC v. Alford, No. E060421, 190 Cal. Rptr. 3d 917, 239 Cal. App. 4th 741 (Cal. Ct. App. 2015)
- Sentry Ins. v. Brand Mgmt. Inc., No. 10-cv-0347, 2015 WL 4922484 (E.D.N.Y. Aug. 13, 2015)
- In re J. Rains, No. 07-14-00132-CV, 2015 Tex. App. LEXIS 8219 (Tex. App. Aug. 5, 2015)
- RSL-3B-IL, Ltd., v. Prudential Ins. Co. of Am., No. 01-14-00482-CV, 2015 Tex. App. LEXIS 7083 (Tex. App. July 9, 2015)
- Conn. Gen. Life Ins. Co. v. Feldman, No. WMN-14-03670, 2015 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 85383 (D. Md. July 1, 2015)
- RSL-3B-IL, Ltd. v. Prudential Ins. Co. of Am., 470 S.W.3d 131 (Tex. App. – Houston [1st Dist] 2015), reh'g overruled (Sept. 17, 2015)
- Westrope v. Ringler Associates Incorporated, No. 3:14-cv-00604-ST, 2015 WL 13679859 (D. Or. Feb. 20, 2015).
- In Re: J. G. Wentworth Originations LLC v Hall, 2014 N.Y. Slip Op 24075, Yates County, 2014 WL 1236669, 2014 N.Y. Misc. LEXIS 1270 (N.Y. Sup. 2014)
- In Re: Approval for Transfer of Structured Settlement Payment Rights u/a/b RSL Funding, LLC and Jerry M. Green, 2013 WL 6697803 (5th Cir. FL. 2013)
- Sentry Insurance A Mutual Company v. Brand Management, Inc., 2013 WL 5725979 (E.D.N.Y.)
- In Re: Approval for Transfer of Structured Settlement Proceeds By Derrick Robotham, 2013 WL 127134 (5th Cir. Fl. 2013)
- In the Matter of the Estate of Norman Knox, 2012 NY Slip Op 52336U, 2012 N.Y. Misc. LEXIS 5722 (N.Y. Sur. 2012)
- Transfer of Structured Settlement Payment Rights by Daniel B. Hughes, 2012 WL 5363775 (La. Dist. Ct. 2012)
- In Re: C. Hernandez, 2012 WL 5363774 (La. Dist. Ct. 2012)
- R & P Capital Resources, Inc. and Donald Watson, 2012 WL 2458634, 2012 Extra LEXIS 11 (Tenn. Chan. 2012)
- Transfer of Structured Settlement Payment Rights by Aundreas Smith, 2011 WL 5061953 (Tn. Cir. 2011)
- In Re: Keshon L. Moore, 2011 WL 4021313, 2011 Va. Cir. LEXIS 103
- Settlement Funding of New York, LLC v. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company (Jacobs), 2010 WL 3613471 (N.Y. Sup. 2010)
- Kalatizadeh v. Zagaroff, 2010 WL 3520754, 2010 N.Y. Misc. LEXIS 5285 (N.Y. Sup. 2010)
- In The Matter of Settlement Funding (Woolford) 2010 WL 3713130, 2010 Md. Cir. Ct. LEXIS 6 (Md. Cir. 2010)
- No More Waiting LLC v. Patricia Hack, 2010 WL 2106481, 2010 Conn. Super. LEXIS 1035 (Ct. Sup.)
- Estate of Tillinger, 2010 WL 716167, 2010 N.Y. Slip Op. 50303(U), 2010 N.Y. Misc LEXIS 368 (N.Y.Sur.)
- Settlement Funding of New York, LLC v. Structured Settlement Trust (Ciraolo), 2009 WL 3713136, 2009 NY Misc LEXIS 3075, 2009 N.Y. Slip Op. 32553 (U) (N.Y. Sup.)
- Allstate Life Insurance Company v. Rapid Settlements, Ltd. and Percy Griffin and Betty Thomas Griffin, 2007 WL 2745806, 2008 WL 2633699 (S.D. Ms.), affirmed 328 Fed. Appx. 289, 2009 WL 1175534 (C.A.5(Ms.))
- Allstate Settlement Corporation and Allstate Life Insurance Company v. Rapid Settlements, Ltd. and Andino Ward, 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 34136, 2007 WL 1377667 (E.D.Pa.), affirmed 559 F.3d 164, 2009 WL 514080, 2009 US App LEXIS 4127 (C.A.3 (Pa.))
- Pacific Life Insurance Company and Confederation Life Insurance and Annuity Company v. Rapid Settlements, Ltd. and Joyce Allen, 2007 WL 2530098 (W.D.N.Y.), affirmed 309 Fed. Appx. 459, 2009 WL 320184, 2009 U.S. App. LEXIS 2534 (C.A.2 (N.Y.))
- Settlement Capital Corporation v. Zulay Pagan, et al., 2009 WL 111563, 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 3048 (N.D. Tex. Jan. 16, 2009), 2009 WL 856466 (N.D. Tex. March 30, 2009), 2009 WL 2222634 (N.D. Tx. July 24, 2009)
- Marriott v. American International Life Assurance Company of New York, Sup. Ct., New York County, New York, 111071/2007 (July 16, 2008)
- In re Jack, 390 B.R. 307, 2008 WL 2698194, 2008 Bankr. LEXIS 3085 (Bkrtcy. S.D. Tex., July 10, 2008)
- Allstate Life Insurance Company v. Rapid Settlements, Ltd. and Percy Griffin and Betty Thomas Griffin, Cause No. 884,136 (Harris County, Texas, March 28, 2008)
- Allstate Settlement Corporation and Allstate Life Insurance Company v. Andino Ward, Cause No. 884,872 (Harris County, Texas, March 28, 2008)
- R&Q Reinsurance Co. v. Rapid Settlements, Ltd. and Gwendolyn Sands Brown, 2007 WL 2330899, 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 34966, 2007 WL 1428746 (S.D. Fla.)
- Singer Asset Finance Co., L.L.C. v. Connecticut General Life Insurance Co., 975 So. 2d 375, No. 2060157, 2007 WL 1575567 (Ala. Civ. App., June 1, 2007)
- Richard v. R&Q Reinsurance Co., et al., 2007 WL 1119212, 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 27987; 2007 WL 1406481, 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 34751 (N.D. Tex.)
- Metropolitan Mortgage & Securities Co., Inc. v. Cochran, 2007 WL 1218001 (Wash.App. Div. 3)
- CNA Structured Settlements, Inc. and Continental Assurance Company v. Rapid Settlements, Ltd. and Willie T. Lawrence, 2007 WL 811983 (N.Y.Sup.)
- Murphy v. Gatta, 2006 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 5328 (E.D. Pa.)
- Life Insurance Company of North America v. Monroe, 2006 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 13411 (D. Md.)
- Donald Richardson to First Providen, LLC, 2005 Me.Super. LEXIS 201, 2005 WL 3804993 (Me. Super.)
- Delaware Valley Railway Company, Inc. v. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Department of Transportation, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Board of Claims, Docket No. 2847 (March 13, 2002)
- CGU Life Insurance Company of America v. Metropolitan Mortgage & Securities Co., Inc., et al., 131 F. Supp. 2d, 670 (E.D. Pa. 2001), 2001 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 1138, 43 U.C.C. Rep. Serv. 2d (Callaghan) 1241
- New York
- University of Southern California Gould School of Law, J.D.
- Occidental College, B.A.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- National Structured Settlements Trade Association
- Pennsylvania Society of Sons of the Revolution
- Society of Colonial Wars