Jason H. Gould represents financial institutions, insurers, and other businesses and professionals in complex federal and state litigation matters and other sophisticated commercial disputes nationally. He counsels and represents clients in a wide range of matters, including complex litigation and class action lawsuits, administrative investigations and market conduct examinations, enforcement actions, and matters involving regulatory compliance issues.
Jason has extensive experience managing multidistrict litigation proceedings and parallel civil and regulatory proceedings. He frequently defends clients against civil investigative demands, subpoenas, and proceedings brought by state insurance regulators and attorneys general. He also assists clients with business practices reviews and litigation exposure analyses.
Jason has litigated in federal and state courts across the United States in matters involving fixed and variable life insurance and annuity products; securities and consumer fraud litigation; bad faith claims; litigation relating to sales practices and post-sale administration of insurance and investment products; all types of regulatory and state statutory violations, including unfair competition and deceptive trade practices claims; elder financial abuse as it relates to life insurance and annuities; high-exposure punitive damages litigation; class actions involving sales to seniors; and appellate litigation. Jason also represents insurance companies in administrative proceedings involving customer complaints and has extensive experience in broker-dealer regulatory and compliance issues, having served as lead counsel in numerous FINRA securities arbitrations.
Jason is a frequent author and speaker on a variety of topics, including class action developments.
- "Regulation and Litigation in the Financial Services Sector," The Brookings Institution, Washington, (May 2014, 2015, 2017)
- ACLI Compliance and Legal Sections Annual Meeting, Las Vegas (July 2015)
- NAVA Government & Regulatory Affairs Conference, Washington (June 2009)
- American Bankers Insurance Association Annual Conference, Washington (September 2007)
- Sun Life Financial Distributors, Inc. Independent Marketing Organizations Roundtable, Phoenix (April 2006)
- ACLI Conference on Insurance and the Law, San Antonio (February 2006)
- ALI/ABA Conference on Life Insurance Company Products (November 2005)
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Georgetown University, J.D., 1995
- Georgetown University, B.A., 1992, magna cum laude
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- New York State Bar Association
- New York County Lawyers' Association
- American Bar Association, Sections of Litigation, Tort and Insurance Practice
- Association of Life Insurance Counsel