Jerald M. Goodman assists clients with commercial real estate transactions, particularly acquisitions, dispositions, retail, office and industrial leasing, real estate secured finance and joint ventures. He also handles all aspects of the real estate development process including permits and approvals, as well as the drafting and negotiation of design and construction agreements with architects, engineers, construction managers and general contractors.
Jerry has assisted clients in major commercial development projects from start to finish, including development of office buildings, apartment buildings and shopping centers. He has particular experience in the representation of clients in the retail industry, including an owner of a portfolio of enclosed shopping malls, power centers and life-style centers.
Jerry has many years of experience in drafting and negotiating retail, office and industrial leases as well as build to suit and ground leases. A large part of his practice is devoted to retail leasing for both landlords and tenants, including anchor tenant leases. Jerry has represented numerous clients involved in land use development and permitting issues, including the handling of zoning hearings and appeals and land subdivision and development matters.
His practice also includes real estate secured finance transactions and, in particular, construction financing. Jerry has represented lenders in a number of construction loans for new mixed-use and residential condominium projects in Philadelphia. He has represented several major lending institutions in loan transactions involving the construction, development and operation of health care facilities, including nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and rehabilitation, psychiatric and long term acute care hospitals.
He is a contributing author to the State-by-State Guide to Commercial Real Estate Leases, and a frequent speaker at both the ICSC Law Conference and the annual conference of the National Association of College and University Attorneys.
Jerry has extensive experience with a wide range of commercial real estate transactions. His representative matters include:
- Represented a publicly traded REIT in connection with the sale of 12 regional shopping malls, ranging from 500,000 square feet to 900,000 square feet, located in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
- Represented a major communications company in connection with its leases for the nationwide rollout of a retail store concept.
- Represented a major communications company in connection with leases for office, warehouse and operational space, including a 245,000-square-foot single-tenant office building in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Represented a health system in a built-to-suit lease for a 120,000-square-foot single-user medical office building.
- Represented a health system in the sale of a multi-building hospital campus in downtown Buffalo, New York.
- Represented a developer in its acquisition, development and financing of a mixed-use project that included 195 market rate residential units and street-level retail space in the Old City area of Philadelphia.
- Represented a developer in its acquisition of a development site for a proposed mixed-use project containing 500 residential units and retail space in Center City, Philadelphia.
- Handled a number of anchor tenant leases for a publicly traded retail REIT, including a 55,000- square-foot building with a national organic supermarket and café, as part of a redevelopment of an existing mall.
- Represented an institutional purchaser of a 70-unit apartment building in Philadelphia’s University City area.
- Represented the senior debt lender in a $90,000,000 construction financing for a 22-story luxury condominium tower in Center City, Philadelphia.
- Represented a privately held national developer of industrial properties in connection with the acquisition, permitting, development and financing of a 255,000-square-foot warehouse and office project in Northeast Philadelphia.
- Represented a health system in the acquisition and leasing of several medical office buildings.
- Represented a private equity fund manager in connection with the drafting and negotiation of all construction and design agreements for its portfolio of properties, including the construction of a 450,000-square-foot industrial facility in Virginia and a 350-unit multifamily housing project in Pennsylvania.
- Represented the purchaser of a 225,000-square-foot retail power center in Northeast Philadelphia.
Fellow of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers (2015)
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
Jerald Goodman assists an impressive client base with a range of commercial real estate transactions. Clients say he is ‘a very good negotiator’ who ‘goes the extra mile to understand our issues.’
– CHAMBERS USA (2019)
Jerald Goodman attracts praise from clients for the ‘unflappable advice’ that he provides as well as the ‘extremely attentive, incredibly responsive approach that he takes.’ One client reports: ‘He has a brilliant legal mind and, when this is combined with his approachable nature and practical approach to problem solving, he is an incredibly formidable attorney.’
– CHAMBERS USA (2018)
Jerald Goodman counsels clients on development and leasing, and is also noted for his strengths in joint ventures and secured matters. A satisfied client comments: ‘He's great. I find him very personable, smart and experienced. He's also very practical and very responsive.’Chambers USA (2017)
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., 1984, cum laude, Journal of International Law – Editor-in-Chief
- Temple University, B.A., 1981, cum laude
- American Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Anti-Defamation League, Philadelphia Chapter, Board Member