Vincent E. Gentile litigates a broad range of civil and commercial matters from trial through appeal. He has represented major corporate clients in complex, multiparty cases and individuals and small businesses in both state and federal courts.
Vince concentrates his practice on financial litigation including defense of accountants and auditors, and on shareholder disputes involving closely held corporations, including shareholder "oppression" cases and appraisal actions. He successfully tried and defended an appeal on one of the early seminal cases under New Jersey's minority shareholders act and has represented both corporations and shareholders in disputes over valuation and governance.
Vince has served as a court-appointed mediator in complex civil litigations in the federal and state courts in New Jersey. He has also authored a number of articles on shareholder litigation and accounting liability issues and has been certified by the New Jersey Supreme Court as a civil trial attorney since 2001. Vince is the chair of Drinker Biddle's Public Interest Committee, which oversees the firm's pro bono program.
In 2013, Vince was appointed by the Chief Justice of the New Jersey Supreme Court to the Advisory Committee on Judicial Conduct, which assists the Supreme Court by investigating allegations of unethical judicial conduct, conducting hearings and recommending disciplinary action against state court judges.
Vince was a law clerk to the Hon. Jacob D. Fuchsberg of the New York Court of Appeals. Before entering private practice in New Jersey, he served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of New Jersey and chief of the Civil Division.
Vince is a seasoned litigator with more than 35 years of experience as a lawyer. His recent representative matters include the following:
- Trial counsel to a Big Four accounting firm in a five week audit malpractice jury trial.
- Trial counsel to corporations and majority shareholders in jury trials and bench trials in minority shareholder oppression cases.
- Representing an electricity supply company (EGS or ESCO) in consumer class action lawsuits in federal court and regulatory proceedings before a Public Utility Commission, including the trial of a civil penalty action, which resulted in an 88% reduction in the proposed penalty, and a subsequent appeal to the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
- Representing a corporate indemnitor in one of the largest environmental litigations in New Jersey state court, which involved the interpretation of an indemnity, issues of fraudulent transfers and alter ego liability, and liabilities resulting from the contamination of the Passaic River.
- Representing a corporation and the Trustees of the company’s pension plan in defense of an ERISA class action alleging imprudent investment allocation and management, resulting in a favorable settlement without any payment of attorney fees or increased payments to the class.
- Obtaining summary judgment for a corporation and one of its shareholders in a suit by one of its subcontractors alleging breach of an oral contract.
- Representing a Fortune 100 company in defense of several consumer class actions and a consumer fraud investigation.
- Representing a Fortune 500 manufacturing company in defense of claims by a municipality for damage to its public water system from groundwater contamination.
- Representing an industrial company in connection with an NTSB investigation and related state grand jury investigation into the explosion of a natural gas transmission pipeline, and then represented the company in litigation of significant personal injury and property damage claims.
- Representing a large privately held company in land use litigation and property damage litigation relating to its quarrying operations.
- Representing the owner of $100 million private industrial company in litigation over the buy-out of a deceased co-owner under the terms of a shareholder agreement.
- Representing a battered women’s shelter pro bono in a lawsuit to challenge the denial of reimbursement payments for shelter services to victims of domestic violence.
Best Lawyers®, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation (2020)
2015 Finalist, SMART CEO “ESQ Award,” Greater Philadelphia Area
Trustee, Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey, since April 2014
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
- New Jersey
- New York
- New York University School of Law, J.D., Law Review
- Cornell University, B.A., magna cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- Advisory Committee on Judicial Conduct
- Mercer County Inn of Court
- District VIII Ethics Committee
- District VII Fee Arbitration Committee
- Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey, Trustee
- American Arbitration Association, Roster of Arbitrators
- Certified Arbitrator, Commercial Superior Court, Mercer County