Kristi M. Garrett counsels clients on issues related to insurance regulatory compliance throughout the United States and works with U.S. and international insurers and reinsurers. She actively monitors state insurance-related legislative and regulatory developments, including InsurTech initiatives, and works extensively with London, Bermuda and European insurance market participants regarding non-admitted insurance and reinsurance transactions in the U.S.
As a former litigator, Kristi has defended clients in complex commercial litigation, including class actions and has advised on issues relating to institutional business practices and corporate compliance. Kristi has also conducted internal reviews and counseled clients through government inquiries and investigations by various state Departments of Insurance, offices of state Attorneys General and the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- U.S. and non-U.S. regulatory advice and approvals in acquisition/change of control of insurers;
- Advising InsurTech ventures on state insurance regulatory system;
- Assisting insurers and brokers with state regulatory investigations;
- Guidance on insurer applications for surplus lines approval to NAIC;
- Advising on U.S. group/master policy and trust arrangements;
- Guidance on state requirements for producer and claims adjuster licensing laws; and
- Advising insurers on compliance with the Affordable Care Act.
- Represented national insurer in District Court in a putative class action involving alleged violations of the Unfair Sales and Trade Practices Acts, tortious interference and unjust enrichment.
- Represented global insurer in state and federal lawsuits involving alleged bid-rigging and price fixing conspiracy related to contingent commissions in violation of state and federal antitrust laws.
- Counseled for-profit education institution in an internal investigation regarding New York Attorney General inquiry into post-graduate employment placement practices.
- Represented a leading energy services firm in major shareholder derivative matter, conducting internal review of practices relating to allegations of improper accounting, OFAC/export control violations, FCPA violations, kickbacks and government contracting abuses.
- New York
- Brooklyn Law School, J.D., 2006, cum laude
- Northwestern University, B.S., 2002
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York