Katie B. Garayoa represents individual and corporate clients in a variety of complex litigation matters, including financial and securities litigation, fraudulent misrepresentation claims, and contract disputes. Katie also defends class actions involving privacy and consumer issues and claims under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act. In the course of her practice, Katie has conducted internal investigations, represented clients in regulatory enforcement proceedings, engaged in large scale discovery, and participated in dispositive motion practice and trial proceedings.
In 2014, Katie was elected to the Executive Committee of the Young Lawyers Division of the Philadelphia Bar Association, which manages and directs activities for the YLD’s more than 2,900 members in the areas of service to the legal community, public service, and law-related education. Katie also actively participates in mentoring programs within the firm and the Philadelphia legal community.
While in law school, she served as an Arthur Littleton and H. Clayton Louderback Legal Writing Instructor.
- Prosecuting suit by unsecured bondholders against Caesars Entertainment Corporation based on violations of the Trust Indenture Act and governing indenture agreements.
- Defending $50 million fraud suit by two offshore CDO funds against the CEO and Chairman of a failed Chinese media conglomerate. Obtained affirmance of order dismissing negligent misrepresentation claim on the pleadings and striking all references in complaint to parallel criminal proceedings after appeal.
- Obtained temporary restraining order and litigated preliminary injunction on behalf of indenture trustee against foreign bond issuer undertaking refinancing transaction in violation of the governing indenture agreement.
- Representing cable services provider in suit involving consumer fraud, contract, and tort claims. Obtained order denying motion to remand after case removed pursuant to CAFA.
- Representing a national petroleum and petrochemical manufacturer in putative consumer class action challenging sales and advertising practices related to its co-branded credit card program.
- Defending a variety of clients, including a national transportation and trucking company, against claims for violation of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA). Katie also counsels clients on TCPA compliance matters.
- New Jersey
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 2010, University of Pennsylvania Law Review
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., 2007, magna cum laude
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, Executive Committee
- Penn Law Women's Association (Past Academic Chair)