Janet Fries has represented numerous authors, artists, collectors, estates, art organizations, musicians, filmmakers, producers and Internet companies in connection with issues involving contract negotiation and preparation, web site review, copyright and trademark protection, brand management, and related matters. She counsels on copyright and trademark law, entertainment law and Internet law and also maintains an active pro bono practice.
Janet is a trained mediator and has negotiated numerous settlements in all areas of copyright and trademark law. She has also litigated intellectual property disputes before the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York and the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.
Janet is on the Advisory Board for the ALI Restatement of Copyright project and she is a member of the ABA IP Section Council, helping to shape ABA policies on intellectual property. She previously served as chair of the ABA’s Copyright Division, the Committee on Copyright & Social Media, and is also a former chair of the Committee on Copyright & New Technologies. Janet maintains an active speaking schedule and regularly contributes to conferences on art law, copyright, and trademarks. Her publications include articles in the ABA’s Landslide magazine. She also serves on the board of the Washington Area Lawyers for the Arts.
Janet is an adjunct professor at The George Washington University Law School, where she teaches a seminar entitled “Art, Cultural Heritage & the Law.” She is also an adjunct faculty member at American University Washington College of Law where she teaches a seminar in “Law & the Visual Arts.” In addition to her legal practice, Janet is an experienced professional editorial and fine art photographer. Her work has been published and exhibited widely and has been acquired for the permanent collections of museums including the National Portrait Gallery and the Oakland Museum of California.
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
- District of Columbia
- New York
- George Washington University Law School, J.D., with honors
- San Francisco State University, M.A.
- Smith College, B.A.
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
- Council Member
- Copyright Reform Task Force
- American Law Institute (ALI), Adviser, Restatement of the Law, Copyright Project
- District of Columbia Bar Association, Arts and Cultural Law Committee
- Entertainment, Media and Sports Law Section, Vice Chair
- Washington Area Lawyers for the Arts, V.P. Board of Directors
- Copyright Alliance
- Cosmos Club