Theresa M. Fitzgerald has advised clients on a wide spectrum of insurance regulatory issues for more than 25 years. Her experience includes providing guidance to life, property/casualty, health, and title insurers and related entities on operational issues, regulatory filings and marketing practices. Theresa represents clients in obtaining regulatory approval of inter-affiliate transactions, acquisitions, and other holding company matters, as well as in the formation and licensing of insurance companies, and other transactional matters. She also performs compliance reviews for insurers and insurance producers and provides assistance in the development of compliance manuals.
Before returning to private practice, Theresa served for eight years as staff counsel for the California Department of Insurance, focusing on corporate affairs and conservation/liquidation matters, and for the Hawaii Insurance Division, handling property/casualty insurance, captive insurers, and legislative matters.
- Guidance on title insurance operational issues and title insurance rates.
- Advising agents, brokers and others involved in the sale of insurance on licensing and appointment requirements, marketing practices and obtaining licenses.
- Advising manufacturers and retailers on service contract matters such as licensure and certification requirements and development of contract forms
- Assisting motor clubs and vehicle service contract providers with licensing, compliance and product approval processes.
- Advising clients on HIPAA and Affordable Care Act matters.
- Providing guidance to home warranty companies on licensing, marketing and operational issues.
- Assisting clients in responding to market conduct examination matters and information requests from insurance regulators.
- Drafting and negotiating producer agreements and program agreements on behalf of insurance companies and insurance producers.
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, J.D., 1986
- University of California, Davis, B.A., 1982