James M. Fischer is chair of the firm’s Corporate and Securities Group. Jim represents both public and private clients in various industries including fintech, insurtech, healthtech, pharmaceutical and nutraceutical, transportation and logistics and general manufacturing.
Jim focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions, venture capital/corporate venture capital and emerging companies, corporate restructurings, private securities offerings, divestitures and general corporate matters. He also advises both individual and institutional clients in a variety of matters relating to investments in, and transactions with, domestic and foreign proprietary and high frequency trading firms’ incubators and related services providers.
In addition to the practice of law, Jim has previously served as a member of the board of directors of Trading Cross Connects US LLC and Trading Cross Connects Holdings Limited, providers of services to high frequency trading teams, and as the chairman of the board of trustees of the American Herbal Products Association, a position to which he was elected on behalf of a client in the nutraceutical industry.
Jim served as a research assistant in the United Kingdom's House of Commons and as an intern on Capitol Hill.
- Representation of the sale of an iconic high fashion modeling and talent agency.
- Representation of Legrand North and Central America, an electrical and digital building infrastructure company, in its acquisitions of Milestone AV Technologies, a leading designer and manufacturer of branded AV products for both the consumer and commercial AV markets; Pinnacle Architectural Lighting, an architectural lighting solution provider; Luxul Wireless, an audio/video infrastructure products for residential buildings and small- to mid-size commercial buildings; and Raritan, a provider of data center infrastructure solutions.
- Representation of ENSO LP and affiliates, providers of data analytics to financial institutions, in its equity sale to ICAP plc.
- Representation of a manufacturer of chemicals and raw materials in its acquisition of a manufacturer of consumer plastic goods.
- Representation of Merck Global Health Innovation Fund in various emerging company equity investments and acquisitions.
- Representation of Strategic Products and Services, a systems integrator and managed service solutions company, in connection with its acquisitions of Adcap Network Systems, a unified communications provider, and ExtraTeam, an information technology solution provider.
- Representation of a privately held truck leasing, transportation and logistics company in various strategic acquisitions.
- Representation of Cape Advisors in negotiation of joint ventures and consummation of equity raises and financing of multiple $100 million residential real estate developments in Manhattan.
- Representation of Cape Resorts, a division of Cape Advisors, in refinancing of Congress Hall Hotel and equity raises in Cape May, New Jersey.
- Representation of The Hampshire Companies in negotiation of joint ventures and consummation of equity raises of multiple real estate development projects located in New Jersey.
- Representation of a private equity firm in the sale of a multinational manufacturer in the transportation sector.
- Representation of a financial services company in connection with corporate organizational matters, including transfers of ownership securities and the admission of new securityholders, as well as in connection with its acquisition of a municipal securities “broker’s broker.”
- Representation of a privately held IT consulting firm in its sale to an international company that specializes in insurance-related IT solutions.
- Representation of a publicly traded company in connection with multiple divestitures of business segments that provide military and civilian aircraft components and other parts and metal forming machines.
- Representation of a private label tea and coffee company based in the United Kingdom in the acquisition of a U.S.-based natural ingredients supplier.
- Representation of Ascensus, the nation’s largest independent retirement plan services provider, in connection with its acquisition of Sallie Mae’s 529 college savings plan administrator, Upromise Investments.
- Representation of a privately held strategic buyer of a business that provides administrative, compliance, operational, training and marketing services and solutions to support federally or state chartered credit unions in the United States offering, among other things, Individual Retirement Accounts, Coverdell Education Savings Accounts, Simplified Employee Plans and Health Savings Accounts.
- Representation of medical device design and manufacturing business in connection with its sale to a robotic-assisted surgery company.
- Representation of Cott Corp., a NYSE listed corporation, of a private label fruit juice business based in Dunkirk, N.Y.
- Representation of a joint venture between strategic and financial partners in the formation of an incubator of high frequency trading teams within the Foreign Currency, Fixed Income and Commodities spaces.
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
James Fischer has a wide-reaching corporate practice and represents clients across a range of industries including insurance, pharmaceuticals and manufacturing. His work includes advice on M&A, divestitures and financing transactions. Clients say: 'He's a great resource to have and a great sounding board for our ideas.'
– CHAMBERS USA (2018)
James Fischer is known for his work with clients in the medical, financial and pharmaceutical industries. One source describes him as 'incredibly hard-working and very responsive,' praising his 'excellent judgment.'
– CHAMBERS USA (2017)
James Fischer has a broad-ranging practice encompassing venture capital financings, corporate restructurings and divestitures. Sources say: 'The depth of his knowledge is incredible - he can take a whole M&A transaction from beginning to end without engaging anyone else.'Chambers USA (2016)
- New Jersey
- New York
- Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., 2001, magna cum laude, Seton Hall Legislative Journal
- The Catholic University of America, B.A., 1998, summa cum laude
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- American Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Corporate & Business Law Section
- New York State Bar Association, Business Law Section
Jim's Areas of Focus
- Corporate and Securities
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate Venture and Innovation
- Emerging Companies and Venture Capital
- Impact Investing, Sustainability and Benefit Corporations
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Private Equity
- Health Information Technology
- Health Care Innovation and Corporate Venture
- Strategic Transactions and Affiliations