Marita S. Erbeck effectively assists her clients in a diverse range of business and legal issues. For nearly 15 years, Marita has represented clients in complex reorganization and litigation matters to maximize their recovery. She represents debtors, trustees, committees and secured and unsecured creditors in complex Chapter 11 cases and was instrumental on the team that successfully reorganized St. Mary’s Hospital in Passaic, New Jersey, the first New Jersey hospital to successfully reorganize under Chapter 11. Marita was also featured as one of the “Saviors of St. Mary’s” in the New Jersey Law Journal article, “Passaic Hospital First in New Jersey to Survive Chapter 11.”
Marita is experienced in negotiating and drafting plans and disclosure statements, asset purchase agreements and related documents. She was on the team that represented the Indenture Trustee for 10 industrial revenue bond issues totaling over $1.2 billion, making it the largest unsecured creditor on the official unsecured creditors committee in the American Airlines bankruptcy.
Marita is an effective litigator who has achieved favorable outcomes for her clients in federal and state courts. She regularly prosecutes and defends clients in avoidance action litigation, including preference and fraudulent transfer actions. She also represents a global owner, operator and developer of industrial real estate in real estate and bankruptcy litigation.
In addition to her practice, Marita is committed to her community. Marita played a significant role in launching and developing Drinker Biddle’s Law2Life program, a legal enrichment and mock trial program at Eastside High School in Paterson, New Jersey. Marita has also served as court-appointed counsel in a variety of matters. She is an active member of the firm’s Associates and Summer Hiring Committees and regularly mentors junior lawyers.
- Representation of St. Mary’s Hospital, Passaic, New Jersey, through its Chapter 11 reorganization.
- Representation of the Indenture Trustee for ten industrial revenue bond issues totaling over $1.2 billion, largest unsecured creditor on the official unsecured creditors committee, in the American Airlines bankruptcy.
- Representation of Creditors Committee and Liquidating Trusts of Advanta Corp. and its affiliated Debtors.
- Representation of a wholesale distributor of dairy and related food products during liquidation and involuntary chapter 7 proceedings.
- Representation of a global owner, operator and developer of industrial real estate in real estate and bankruptcy litigation.
- Representation of a health insurance provider in a reimbursement dispute with a class of out-of-network medical professionals.
- Representation of former board members of Hoboken Municipal Hospital Authority in fiduciary duty litigation with liquidating trustee of the estate of Hudson Health Care.
Chambers USA “Up and Coming” for New Jersey - Bankruptcy/Restructuring (2015-2017)
"New Leaders of the Bar," New Jersey Law Journal (2017)
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
Marita Erbeck is a rising star in the practice area and advises clients on matters including corporate reorganizations, out-of-court restructurings and bankruptcy litigation. Sources say she is ‘a terrific attorney who demonstrates a very broad and practical understanding of bankruptcy law and all the dos and don'ts’ and that ‘she is commercially-minded and easy-to-work with.’Chambers USA (2018)
Marita Erbeck enters the rankings this year following high praise from clients. She is described as 'very detail-oriented and highly responsive.' She principally handles the bankruptcy and insolvency aspects of commercial litigation matters.Chambers USA (2015)
- New Jersey
- New York
- Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., 2002, cum laude
- Boston College, B.A., 1999, cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Pennsylvania
- New Jersey Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- New Jersey Fee Arbitration Committee
- Seton Hall Law School Alumni Council