Allen J. Dickey is a real estate and finance attorney who advises real estate funds, opportunity funds, real estate investment trusts, investment banks and others on commercial real estate transactions. He has exceptional experience in large portfolio transactions in numerous states.
Allen has significant experience representing lenders and borrowers on mezzanine loan transactions, where his capabilities include negotiating, documenting and consummating transactions, including subordination and intercreditor arrangements, and restructuring troubled mezzanine loans.
Allen is highly skilled in restructuring troubled real estate assets and an authority on providing debtors-in-possession financing solutions in Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases.
In the course of his career, Allen has negotiated hundreds of legal opinions on behalf of lenders and borrowers, including non-consolidation and true sale opinions on behalf of borrowers, and mortgage loan opinions in many structured finance and asset securitization transactions.
Allen is a frequent contributor of articles on real estate, structured finance, commercial lending and loan enforcement, and often lectures to attorney and industry groups on real estate, lending and loan enforcement topics.
A former commercial real estate broker, Allen’s legal work is enhanced by an informed understanding of his client’s needs. He helps lenders, developers, investors and business owners facilitate all aspects of real estate transactions such as:
- Financial, development and franchise lending
- Mortgage and mezzanine loan origination and enforcement
- Commercial mortgage-backed securities lending and mortgage-backed securitization
- Construction finance
- Development finance
- Acquisitions, dispositions and leasing
- Loan workouts, modifications and extensions
- Property management
- Property tax incentives
- Real and personal property foreclosures
- Deeds in lieu of foreclosure and resale of collateral following foreclosure
Allen provides pro bono legal services through Legal Aid of Northwest Texas.
High-level deals Allen has influenced and negotiated:
- Represented the United States’ fourth-largest bank in structuring, negotiating and closing numerous multi-state franchise loans to fast food chain restaurant franchisees.
- Represented a leading global financial services firm in restructuring numerous leases, contracts and franchise loans with an energy company, and other parties under the auspices of bankruptcy proceedings.
- Represented a real estate investment trust (REIT) focused on hospitality industry investments in numerous acquisitions and the financings of more than $500 million of structured debt in the aggregate for the largest hotels in the world.
- Represented the largest bank in Canada in financing the $102 million acquisition of a professional services and investment management company specializing in real estate of nine medical office buildings constructed with Industrial Development Agency bonds.
- Represented a REIT that invests in U.S. government-backed, adjustable-rate residential mortgage securities in connection with the $135 million acquisition of seven senior housing communities in five states, totaling 1,477 units, from an apartment investment and management corporation, along with negotiating a synthetic lease with a senior living communities company with nearly 1,000 communities in 46 states.
- Represented a private equity funds company in forming a partnership to acquire and rehabilitate four multifamily projects comprising a total of 1,265 units located in Dallas and Fort Worth, and the company’s mezzanine loan to the partners of the partnership; such representation included negotiating the equity investment, the mezzanine loan documents, the related conveyance and security documents, and opinions.
- Southern Methodist University, J.D., 1999, NAFTA Law & Business Review of the Americas, editor-in-chief
- Southern Methodist University, B.A., 1988
- Texas Bar Association, Real Property Section
- Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation, elected 2018
- Dallas Bar Association
- Strafford CLE Programs, Real Estate Advisory Board
- Dallas County Election Judge