Jennifer T. Criss counsels in the areas of copyright, technology transactions, licensing, trademark and brand management, and unfair competition for clients in the arts and entertainment, music, information technology, and health care industries, among others. Jennifer regularly drafts and negotiates a wide variety of software and intellectual property licenses, software as a service (SaaS) and cloud services agreements, outsourcing arrangements, joint development agreements, and website terms and conditions and privacy policies. Additionally, Jennifer performs intellectual property and information technology due diligence for financing and M&A transactions. Her litigation experience includes proceedings before the Copyright Royalty Board. She also drafts comments relating to copyright law for submission to the Copyright Office and manages all aspects of copyright counseling and copyright registrations.
Jennifer is an active member of the American Bar Association’s Section of Intellectual Property Law and has been a member of its Continuing Legal Education Board since 2016. She currently serves as co-chair for the IP Section’s Annual Meeting. Additionally, Jennifer serves as vice chair of the ABA’s Copyright Division and previously chaired the ABA’s Committee on Copyright & Social Media.
In 2019, Jennifer became a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation. Her speaking engagements and publications address topics such as copyright permissions, online harassment, copyright fair use, and data privacy and cybersecurity. She is a regular contributor to the DBranding blog.
Jennifer earned her Ph.D. degree in the History of Art and taught art history at The George Washington University and American University. She is fluent in French.
William Penn Fellow, University of Pennsylvania
Chateaubriand Fellow, French Government
Fellow, Philadelphia Museum of Art
Fellow, The Phillips Collection, Washington, DC
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
- District of Columbia
- George Mason University School of Law, J.D., 2013, cum laude
- University of Pennsylvania, Ph.D., History of Art, 2007
- University of Pennsylvania, M.A., 2003
- Bowdoin College, A.B., 1998, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- American Bar Association, Section of Intellectual Property Law, CLE Board Member
- American Bar Association: Copyright Division, Vice Chair (2019-present); Committee on Copyright & Social Media, Chair (2017-2019), Vice Chair (2015-2017); Subcommittee on Fair Use, Chair (2011-2015)
- American Bar Association, Committee on Copyright & New Technologies, Vice-Chair (2010–2011)
- Copyright Alliance
- Copyright Society of the USA