Keith N. Costa is a seasoned corporate restructuring lawyer who provides valued counsel to creditors and debtors engaged in bankruptcy cases, corporate liquidations and receiverships. Keith’s fiduciary experience during his 30-year career includes serving as Chapter 11 trustee and examiner, and as counsel to official committees of unsecured creditors and corporate boards of directors. Keith is a court-certified mediator for the U.S. bankruptcy courts in New York and Delaware and frequently serves as mediator and arbitrator in high-profile bankruptcy cases.
Keith represents the interests of corporate, banking and other financial clients with respect to their creditors’ rights. He has counseled on Ponzi scheme liquidations and receiverships, including the Madoff bankruptcy case, and on complex corporate bankruptcies including Lehman Brothers. Keith’s fiduciary work is deeply informed by his bankruptcy litigation experience as the Assistant U.S. Trustee for the Southern District of New York under United States Trustee Arthur J. Gonzalez.
Keith has handled bankruptcy cases confronting complex legal issues, such as:
- Ponzi scheme liquidation work and receiverships (e.g., Madoff bankruptcy case and the Securities and Exchange Commission receivership cases of Wextrust and Platinum Partners).
- Mediator and arbitrator in the Madoff and Lehman Brothers bankruptcy cases.
- Preference defense of complex $9 million “clawback” lawsuit in RadioShack Corp. case.
- Counsel to numerous official and ad hoc unsecured creditors’ committees.
- Chapter 11 trustee for Action Redi-Mix Corp. (successful §363 sale) and Dr. Howard Balensweig (succeeded in providing 100% distribution to all allowed unsecured creditors).
- Chapter 11 examiner for Finne Brothers Refuse Systems, Inc.
- Counsel to Board of Directors of Global Capacity Group, Inc. (CGSY.OB).
- Debtor’s counsel to Waterford Wedgwood USA, Tavern On The Green Restaurant, and New York Crane & Equipment Corp. (successfully confirmed a plan of reorganization for 100% distribution plus interest to all allowed creditors).
- District of Columbia
- New York
- American University, Washington College of Law, J.D., 1983
- University of Connecticut, B.A., 1980, Honors Program Scholar
FBI Citizens Academy Alumni Association
New York Institute of Credit
Bankruptcy Law360 Editorial Advisory Board (2013-2015)
Shoreline Arts Alliance, Board of Directors (2013-2014)
Princeton Youth Soccer Association, Board of Directors (2008-2013)