Josephine Cicchetti is a corporate and securities lawyer with extensive experience working with the life insurance industry. For the past several years, her main focus has been on emerging securities, privacy, cybersecurity, and insurance regulatory issues.
Jo has extensive experience counseling clients in their development and distribution of insurance products. She has more than 20 years of involvement with clients engaged in the corporate, high-net-worth, and retirement markets, which include COLI, BOLI, IOLI, 401(k), 457, and 403(b). She also supports clients as they navigate corporate governance, vendor management, auditing, and compliance matters relating to insurance and investment products. In addition, she has worked with her colleagues in the formulation of strategies for resolution of market conduct, SEC examinations, and litigation disputes.
In her active data privacy and security practice, Jo advises clients on applicable regulatory and current best practices in data privacy and breach response.
Jo brings to each engagement skills and experience from a diverse background in the law, which includes general corporate, public and private offerings, mergers and acquisitions, reinsurance transactions, stable value products, securities regulation, investment management, and state insurance regulation. She also has managed large teams of lawyers to conduct risk assessments and best practices reviews for her clients.
Jo counsels clients on privacy and data security policies and procedures, data breach readiness and response, and compliance with the increasing industry-specific regulations concerning privacy and cybersecurity requirements.
- "Third-Party Cyber Liability", The Future of Catastrophe Management – 2020 and Beyond, Orlando, FL (February 25-28, 2019)
- "Disruptive Technologies in the Life Insurance Industry," 36th Annual Advanced ALI CLE Conference on Life Insurance Company Products, Washington (November 9, 2018)
- “Panel Discussion: Effect of Tax Reform on COLI/BOLI Market in 2018 and Beyond: Including DAC Change, Reserving Deductions, Mortality Table Change, Reinsurance, BOLI Transfer for Value, NAIC SAPWG, and Other Issues,” National COLI Directors Meeting, New York (November 8, 2018)
- “Cybersecurity and Increased Liabilities for Insured Data,” National COLI Directors Meeting, New York (November 8, 2018)
- “Protecting Consumers Against Cyber Threats in the Digital Age,” IRI VISION2018 Conference, White Sulphur Springs, WV (September 25, 2018)
- “Responding to Growing Threats: How the Retirement Income Industry Is Fighting to Protect Older Investors,” IRI VISION2018 Conference, White Sulphur Springs, WV (September 25, 2018)
- “Insurer Cyber Risk: Guarding Your Galaxy,” PCI General Counsel Seminar, Cambridge, MA (September 24, 2018)
- "The Changing Nature of Cyber Insurance," Reinsurance Association of America (RAA) Re Claims Conference, New York (July 18, 2018)
- "Cybersecurity," ACLI Compliance & Legal Sections Annual Meeting, White Sulphur Springs, WV (July 12, 2018)
- "Cybersecurity Update: When the Rubber Hits the Road," IRI ACTION18 Conference, Washington (May 9, 2018)
- "Securing Health Information: Third-Party Risk," Fundamentals of Privacy Law (PLI), New York (December 2017)
- “Cybersecurity Update: Managing Regulatory Challenges,” IRI Government, Legal and Regulatory Conference, Washington (June 2017)
- “Enterprise Risk Management and Regulatory Roundtable: Regulatory Priorities and Responses for 2017 and Beyond,” ACI National Advanced Forum on Life Insurance Litigation, Regulatory Enforcement & Enterprise Risk Management, New York (April 19, 2017)
- "Cybersecurity: Managing Third-Party Risk," Product Liability Advisory Council (PLAC) Fall Conference, Colorado Springs, CO (October 6, 2016)
- Insured Retirement Institute (IRI) Cybersecurity Forum, Washington (July 19, 2016)
- “Latest Developments in Cybersecurity Risk and Regulation,” Insured Retirement Institute (IRI) Government, Legal & Regulatory Conference, Washington (June 7, 2016)
- "Enterprise Risk Management and Cybersecurity Risk Mitigation: Best Practices for Life Insurers," ACI National Advanced Forum on Life Insurance Litigation, Regulatory Enforcement & ERM, New York (January 25, 2016)
- “Breach Preparation Matters and Breach Response,” Client Focus Forum, Denver (October 2015)
- "IRI Cybersecurity Forum," Insured Retirement Institutes Annual Government, Legal and Regulatory Conference, Washington (July 2015)
- Lecturer, ALI-ABA, ABA and Society of Actuaries programs addressing life insurance product and insurance regulatory issues “Advanced Forum on Key Litigation and Regulatory Issues Impacting the Financial Services Industry” (December 2012)
- “Update on Insurance Product Private Placements,” ALIABA (November 2011) “BrokerDealer Networking Arrangements and Regulation D Proposals,” National COLI Directors (November 2007)
- “BroadBased Leveraged Corporate-Owned Life Insurance: An Emerging Issue; In Defense of COLI,” ABA Conference (April 2005)
Past Certified Insurance Marketplace Standards Association Assessor
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
- District of Columbia
- Georgetown University, J.D., Associate Editor, The American Criminal Law Review
- St. Joseph College, B.A., Trustee Scholar
- Cybersecurity Task Force of the Insured Retirement Institute, Chair (IRI)
- American Bar Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Women’s Chamber of Commerce
- The Association of Life Insurance Counsel