Michelle A. Childers represents manufacturers of medical devices and pharmaceuticals in products liability, complex litigation, mass tort and consumer product litigation. She is the former regional partner in charge of the San Francisco office and the former leader of the firm’s Products Liability and Mass Tort Practice Group.
Michelle’s practice primarily involves the defense of major pharmaceutical and medical device companies in mass torts, class actions, Attorneys General actions, and single-plaintiff actions involving allegations of defective products or personal injury. She has significant experience defending complex pharmaceutical actions in state, federal and appellate courts. Michelle has served as national counsel, local counsel and on national counsel teams. She frequently works with her clients to establish and implement a national plan for resolving litigation, as well as settlement and negotiation.
Michelle has coordinated cases around the country for all aspects of the trial preparation process, including written discovery, depositions, dispositive motions, preparing and defending company witnesses and experts, taking depositions, and coordinating settlement discussions. She has also served as trial counsel for medical products cases and retained as settlement counsel for high-profile cases.
Michelle has defended major pharmaceutical and medical device companies in products liability, mass tort and consumer product litigation nationwide. Her representative matters include:
- Coordinated national defenses in cases involving allegations of defective sutures.
- Retained as California settlement counsel after a recall of an orthopedic product and resolved all matters according to client specifications.
- Defended cases involving allegations of chemicals in consumer products.
- Coordinated nationwide discovery responses for Attorney General actions pertaining to off-label promotion.
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, J.D., 1998, Hastings International and Comparative Law Review
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.S., 1990
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- American Bar Association: Products Liability Committee
- California Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- International Association of Defense Counsel