Julia E. Cassidy counsels physicians, physician group practices, hospitals, and health care systems in all aspects of health care corporate, regulatory and transactional matters. She advises clients in a variety of business transactions including mergers, acquisitions, and affiliations, as well as contractual matters such as professional service agreements, clinical integration networks, and health care entity corporate documents. Julia also counsels clients on compliance with health care regulatory issues involving federal and state fraud and abuse laws including the Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute, as well as HIPAA.
Prior to joining Drinker Biddle, Julia was an associate at a boutique health care firm where she focused her practice on physicians and physician practices, representing clients in group practice formation, management and professional service relationships, and practice sales and acquisitions. Julia also worked at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services in Washington, D.C. where she served as subject-matter expert on privacy rights including HIPAA, the Privacy Act, and privacy regulations. During law school, she completed a legal internship with the Greater New York Hospital Association.
- Counsels physicians and hospitals on the sale and purchase of medical practices and facilities, drafting asset purchase agreements.
- Advises clients on the formation of holding companies, management services companies and captive practices to ensure compliance with corporate practice of medicine laws and regulations.
- Conducts due diligence reviews for clients purchasing medical practices or new hospital affiliations.
- Structures and creates physician practice groups, drafting operating agreements, shareholder agreements, division agreements, and separation and release agreements.
- Negotiates unwind agreements for medical practices separating from hospitals.
- Prepares HIPAA compliance plans and provides training for physicians and staff members.
- Analyzes potential breaches reported by clients and counsels clients on response and breach notification requirements.
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- New York
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 2007
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., 2004, with distinction
- American Health Lawyers Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Health Law Section
- New York State Bar Association, Health Law Section