Philip J. Cardinale counsels his clients on issues involving intellectual property rights and their tactical uses in business settings, including rights acquisition and licensing, transactions, product and packaging design and clearance, legislative and regulatory monitoring, and litigation involving assertions and defenses against assertions of intellectual property rights. Phil’s practice focuses on issues relating to trademarks, trade dress, copyrights, domain names and rights of publicity and privacy, including matters involving digital and mobile media technologies in the software, fashion, retail, cable and entertainment industries. His litigation experience includes proceedings before federal courts, the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, Copyright Royalty Board and International Trade Commission. Phil is a senior attorney in the Intellectual Property Group and a member of the Copyright and Trademark Team.
Phil is active in the legal community and has, for several years, served as an American Bar Association Liaison to the World Intellectual Property Organization, a specialized agency of the United Nations, on copyright issues, and Liaison to the ABA’s Entertainment and Sports Industries Forum. He formerly led the ABA Committee on Copyright & Emerging Technologies, is currently vice chair of the ABA Copyright Office Affairs Committee and was recently appointed to INTA’s Copyright Committee. He is also currently President of The Counsellors, a Washington DC organization devoted to fostering collegiality between attorneys and judges. Phil is a past winner of the Burton Award for Distinguished Legal Writing and has published numerous articles in law, literature and classical languages.
Prior to joining the firm, Phil received a Ph.D. from Oxford University in English literature, taught literature and worked as a newspaper reporter in New York. He has also formerly been a volunteer firefighter and White House intern.
- IP Rights Acquisition and Licensing
- IP Asset Management
- IP Clearance and Product Design Clearance
- IP Transactions
- International Trade Commission 337 Investigations
- Trademark Trial and Appeal Board Proceedings
- Copyright Royalty Board Proceedings
- IP Litigation
- Domain Name Issues and UDRP Proceedings
- Legislative and Regulatory Issues Monitoring
- Internet Governance Issues
- Parallel Importation Issues
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- New York
- North Carolina
- George Washington University Law School, J.D.
- University of Oxford, D.Phil., English Literature
- University of Oxford, M.Phil., English Literature, with distinction
- Georgetown University, B.A., cum laude
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- American Bar Association
- Copyright Society of the U.S.A.
- International Trademark Association
- The Counsellors