Michael Byrne has extensive experience in complex insurance transactional, regulatory and InsurTech matters. He advises U.S. and international re/insurers, investors, start-ups and producers on a broad range of matters, including obtaining regulatory approvals for M&A; change of control and affiliate transactions; forming, licensing and structuring business operations; drafting and negotiating agreements; M&A involving producers and service providers; developing and obtaining approvals for unique products; and providing practical and business-focused counsel on novel issues. Mike maintains a nationwide practice with a global client base and network.
Mike serves as co-chair of the firm’s Insurance Industry Group and is a co-chair of its InsurTech Team.
- Representing a large personal lines insurer in connection with the sale of its high-net-worth homeowners business.
- Providing regulatory and related advice to a global broker in its potential acquisition of an InsurTech wholesale broker.
- Serving as regulatory counsel for VC investor in its secondary market investment in a leading telematics insurer.
- Drafting and negotiating MGA/MGU, program and claims administration, and other producer, referral/Lead Gen and joint venture agreements.
- Serving as regulatory counsel for PE firm in its acquisition of an environmental services consultant and its captive insurers.
- Representing various insurers in selling their subrogation rights against PG&E relating to the 2017-2018 California wildfires, and related work for hedge funds and brokers.
- Providing transactional and regulatory advice to a VC-backed InsurTech MGA serving start-ups.
- Counseling and mentoring various InsurTech companies on insurance regulatory, privacy, FCRA, financing and other commercial matters.
- Assisting in internal restructuring and re-domestication of a large mutual insurer.
- Providing U.S. and non-U.S. regulatory advice and approvals in the $2.2 billion acquisition of Ironshore by Fosun.
- Providing U.S. and non-U.S. advice and approvals for re/insurers writing cross-border business, such as in LatAm.
- Leading an ad hoc InsurTech Issues Group on various potential improvements to regulatory processes and similar issues.
NAPSLO Legislative Advocacy Award, 2012-2013
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
- New Jersey
- New York
- Rutgers University School of Law - Camden, J.D., cum laude
- Rutgers University, B.A.
- NAPSLO, Legislative Committee
- Insurance Industry Charitable Foundation, Northeast Division, Board of Directors
- Insurance Industry Charitable Foundation, Grants Committee
- Registered New Jersey Lobbyist