Marie Bussey-Garza assists with various stages of legal proceedings and trial preparation, including conducting legal research and writing motions and other legal memoranda for both civil and criminal matters.
While in law school, Marie served as an extern at the Villanova Law Institute to Address Commercial Sexual Exploitation, where she worked on legal policy issues pertaining to sex trafficking and other forms of commercial sexual exploitation. Some highlights of her experience include participating in Safe Harbor Advocacy efforts, writing a policy memorandum to UN Women, and playing an instrumental role in drafting the 2017 Report on Commercial Sexual Exploitation in Pennsylvania. In her role as a judicial intern for Senior Judge Michael M. Baylson of the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, Marie drafted bench memoranda regarding the proper resolution of motions submitted to the court. She also gained experience as a volunteer in the Montgomery County Public Defender’s Expungement Clinic, where she assisted indigent clients seeking to expunge their criminal records.
Prior to law school, Marie acquired over 14 years of business experience in wide-ranging industries including information technology, winemaking, food service, health care, research, and higher education. Most recently, she served as president for a custom web systems development and information technology consulting company and as vice president and IT director for a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
She is proficient in Spanish.
Dorothy Day Award for Pro Bono Service, Villanova University
Herman Mitchell Schwartz Award, Villanova University
The Reverend Joseph Ullman Award, Villanova University
Dr. Arthur Clement Pulling Award, Villanova University
Finalist, Best Oralist, and Best Brief: Theodore L. Reimel Moot Court Competition, Villanova University
Villanova Law Dean’s Merit Award
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
- Villanova University School of Law, J.D., 2017, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif, Villanova Law Review, Managing Editor of Tolle Lege
- California State University, Fresno, B.S., 2009
- The University of Texas at Austin, B.B.A., 2002
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- J. Willard O’Brien American Inn of Court (2016-2017)
- Villanova Women’s Law Caucus (2014-2017)
- Coalition Advocating for Rights & Dignity (2014-2017)
- Villanova Hispanic American Law Students Association (2014-2017)
- Philadelphia VIP, 35th Anniversary Gala Planning Committee (2015-2016)