Lora A. Brzezynski is a highly sought-after trial attorney with 25 years of experience trying cases throughout the country before federal and state courts and arbitration panels. Lora represents clients in all types of intellectual property litigation and commercial and government contracts litigation matters.
The Legal 500 has recognized Lora as one of the nation’s leading lawyers in the areas of Trade Secrets, Patent Litigation and Commercial Litigation. IAM Patent 1000 recognized her as one of the world’s leading patent litigators. Chambers USA has recognized Lora for intellectual property litigation, and Law360 selected Lora for its Trial Pros Series in 2016.
Lora’s many successes in IP litigation include two recent defense verdicts for her client in back-to-back patent infringement jury trials. She also was trial counsel in a patent infringement action in which she obtained a jury verdict in excess of $50 million and a finding of willful infringement for her client. Lora also obtained $18 million in judgments in a trademark infringement matter and has obtained significant settlements in multiple bet-the-company trade secret matters.
She also represents clients in a variety of commercial and government contracts litigation matters, including business torts, civil conspiracy, complex breach of contract actions, and unfair competition. Lora has supervised internal investigations relating to fraud and employee misconduct both in the United States and abroad.
- Prevailed in back-to-back jury trial victories as trial counsel defending an optical engineering company in high-stakes patent litigation brought by its primary competitor in a billion-dollar business.
- Won temporary restraining order, preliminary injunction, and $18 million in judgments as lead counsel against sellers of counterfeit products in trademark infringement action for consumer products client.
- Acted as trial counsel for leading international LCD manufacturer in a patent infringement litigation where the jury awarded $52.4 million to the client and found willful infringement.
- Served as lead counsel defending government contractor in the field of electromagnetic testing in bet-the-company litigation brought by competitor involving allegations of trade secret misappropriation, patent infringement, conspiracy, tortious interference, fraud and unfair competition. Lora obtained summary judgment on the patent and Lanham Act claims and won a favorable settlement for the client.
- Obtained favorable settlements against six of the largest LCD manufacturers in the world in a patent infringement case for a prominent French agency. As part of this case, Lora successfully appealed a decision to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit on the issue of personal jurisdiction.
- Obtained several million dollars in judgments and favorable settlements against the defendants in a conspiracy, fraud and RICO case.
- As lead trial counsel, successfully defended national distributor in a complex commercial arbitration dispute in which the arbitrator denied in full the plaintiff’s $10 million claim after a one-week trial. Lora successfully defended claims of breach of fiduciary duty, conspiracy, tortious interference with contract, fraud, and negligent misrepresentation, and also prevailed on the client’s counterclaims.
- Won a significant judgment as lead trial counsel in a complex trust action for breach of fiduciary duty after a two-week bench trial and successfully obtained the removal of the trustee.
- Obtained a defense verdict as lead trial counsel for a national agricultural chemical distributor after a week-long jury trial in a complex commercial lease dispute matter.
- As trial counsel before an EPA administrative judge, successfully defended a prominent agricultural chemical manufacturer against the EPA’s civil penalty claims.
- As lead trial counsel in a multi-defendant case, successfully obtained a directed verdict in favor of clients, defeating an easement claim.
- Led internal investigations relating to fraud and employee misconduct for an international consumer electronics products corporation in Korea and Hungary that involved privacy laws unique to both countries.
Chambers USA, District of Columbia, Intellectual Property - Litigation (2017 - 2018)
The Legal 500, General Commercial Disputes, Patent Litigation (2017)
The Legal 500, U.S. Intellectual Property- Trade Secrets (2014-2017)
IAM Patent 1000 (2017 - 2018)
Selected by Law360 for its Trial Pros Series, May 9, 2016
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
- District of Columbia
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1993, cum laude
- University of Miami, B.A., 1990, cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- American Bar Association