Eric M. Berman represents pharmaceutical and device manufacturers, hospitals and health systems, and physician groups on a wide variety of health care related matters. Eric provides counsel on regulatory compliance and transactional matters relating to medical research and health information privacy and data security for both the life science and health care provider industries. He also represents health care providers on matters ranging from major strategic mergers and affiliations to day-to-day support to general counsel departments, which includes advising on state and federal health care regulatory compliance matters such as the Anti-Kickback Statute and Stark Law compliance, health care provider licensure, bioethics and patient care, and scope of practice requirements.
- Represented a global pharmaceutical manufacturer on federal and state health information privacy matters, including compliance issues related to consumer marketing programs, patient care support programs, and interactions with physicians and pharmacies.
- Represented a global medical device manufacturer on clinical trial agreement drafting and negotiation, informed consent document review, and fraud and abuse compliance.
- Advised on medical research compliance, including Common Rule and FDA regulations.
- Assisted in contract negotiation and advised on privacy and informed consent compliance as part of the development of a disease registry database.
- Counseled hospitals and pharmacies on health information privacy matters related to HIPAA and related state privacy laws.
- Assisted in the merger of a community hospital and a larger hospital system.
- Provided day-to-day legal support to the general counsel’s office of a large hospital system.
- Marquette University Law School, J.D., 2007
- University of California, Santa Barbara, M.A., 2004
- University of Wisconsin - Madison, B.A., 2001
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association